calculation of waypoints for aerial survey

I know some basic of aerial photograph for mapping and survey but I 'd like to know if there is a fomula to calculate waypoints in function of airplane height, track spacing, area coverage etc. Where can I find sources to guide me for this formula? Thank you.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Hi GeoBlu,

MP planner has a nice tool to calculate your coverage based on lens and digital back.

Is it the MAP TOOL > CAMERA ?

If yes, could you explain how to get usefull values from it? Example, I'm about to use the canon sx260 hs camera.

Thanks 

• MP planner has a nice tool to calculate your coverage based on lens and digital back.

or

you can fly in stable mode and take a photo at 100' above ground and measure the image size.

once you have the image size, you can develop your waypoint distances based on a forward gain percentage. Pending on the the terrain or features on the ground you can apply a 60%-80% fg strategy for image overlap. I would recommend 60% or better. You apply the same strategy for your sidelap as well.

I recommend the "manual of photogrammetry" for a detailed understanding of the mapping industry.

send me your image coverage area and I can develop your math if you need help.

good luck :)  

This reply was deleted.

Activity