Calibrating compass offsets, crashing IMU?

I'm trying to calibrate my compass offsets using xbees for the communication. Everytime I get the menu in the CLI it cuts off around line r

r - Reset to fa

And when I use c to do compass offsets it streams the numbers for about 15-30 seconds and then stops and the IMU instead of walking red orange green it stays solid green?

Does this mean the IMU has crashed? I can only restart it to get it back and also have to debrick the xbee also because it seems to get corrupted in the process.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You're not getting a solid red on the IMU or no red at all?
    It should blink if GPS hold is on and there's no GPS data. Even if there's no GPS hooked up.

If you're not even getting it to blink, then you're not getting the GPS hold mode on. Which means you should probably check your RC.
    Did you change the software since the last time you had GPS working? Are you sure you have it enabled in Config.h?

Re: magnetometer - 1-2 degrees should be fine, methinks.
  • Developer

The noise issues were resolved within days of that post from Jordi going up saying they'd found a problem.  That was months ago and I haven't heard any compliant so I think it's all a-ok.  I've personally ordered two mags since that time and they're working beautifully.

• I received at the end of March a HMC5843 - Triple Axis Magnetometer Rev 1.2

Do you know if this has the noise issue resolved? The last one i had to remove the little resistor but this time I soldered it to the IMU and forgot to check first. :-/

Is 1.2 ok? It's the latest version?

• I always set the xbees to 115k. Is that the right rate?

When the IMU is in CLI mode (walking leds) and it stops and displays solid green, does that indicate it's crashed?

Also when I pull the battery and restart, (before connecting the blue xbee wire, to avoid bricking it) the blue and red lights flicker until I plug in the blue wire and then the red and blue stay on and I have to debrick it.

The reason I was wanting to do the magneto configuration wirelessly is so I can spin it around without risking pulling out the usb cable. Most people are doing it via usb?

• Developer

I think you likely need to increase the baud rate of the xbee.  The CLI menu is displayed all at once so it's a reasonably large amount of text that needs to get through the Xbee in a short period of time.  I think what's happening here is that the outboard buffer on the APM is filling up.  Sorry, I'm not sure if the APM crashes when the buffer overflows (I hope not)

Personally I've never used the XBee to do configuration although i believe many others have.

This reply was deleted.

Activity