I have a quad copter with an APM 2.5 installed on it.  Last week I updated from the stock 2.8.* code to the newest (available through mission planner) 2.9.1.  Immediately after update, everything seemed fine, though I didn't try to fly it.  I disconnected power, installed my gimbal (A11) and camera trigger (A9).  When I reapplied power, I wasn't able to connect to it over the 3DR radios, so I tried the USB.  Same thing.  As a last resort, I tried connecting through USB in terminal mode.

Here is the overall list of symptoms:

• LED "C" on the board is lit solid blue.  LEDs A and B are dark
  • On reboot, the board gets to Init Gyro and the terminal freezes.  Disconnecting and reconnecting gives me a functional terminal.
  • I can't connect from Mission Planner in normal graphical mode over either 3DR radio link or USB.  It gets some of the parameters and then the connection times out.
  • I can connect via terminal mode
  • I can reflash the board with apparent success
  • I can't run the ins test to completion (prints "Init Gyro" and then stops and locks the terminal)
  • The battery sensor is reporting 0 volts even with a fresh battery
  • I can't arm the device from my radio (didn't try through command line, and graphical mode doesn't work so I can't try it from there)
  • Powering on the device causes the ESCs to play their welcome song and final beep indicating (I guess) connection to the APM.

Here's what I've tried:

• Disconnecting all ESCs, GPS, 3DR radio, RX module, and camera gimbal (leaving just the APM)
  • Erasing the EEPROM
  • Reflashing the 2.9.1 code
  • Reflashing the 2.8.5 code
  • Resetting parameters to factory defaults
  • Verified that neither the camera servo or shutter release cable had shorts in them.

None of that allows me to connect in configuration mode.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Is the board just toast?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

Glad they're going to replace it for you Nathan, I have a APM 2 board with the exact same symptoms, it's never had a servo plugged in anywhere and has only ever been connected through USB and yet the gyro is dead.

There quite a few reports of this and one solution is to replace a 3.3v regulator on the board, otherwise send it back (and they seem to accept ones with these symptoms them back very easily...)

• I knew there was a great discussion about the gimbal connections.

HERE is the main thread.

HERE is a great diagram showing wiring - BEWARE the diagram is not quite correct regarding exact pin wiring. Consult the Wiki for correct places to put the pins.

-=Doug

• I talked to uDrones customer service and they have generously offered to replace the board.

• I used the +/- power pins on A9 itself to power the servo (tilt mount only; it isn't near me right now so I'm not sure of the servo make/model).  I just plugged the servo connection directly into that port.

Hmmm...that may have been a problem. THIS page on the adding the camera gimbal has this to say...

Warning:When using the APM Power Module or other dual supply setup with JP1 off, don't connect power from the A10 & A11 connector to the servos, just use the signal lines. Power the servos via PWM Outputs connector.

I would roll back to the previous configuration (I think that is what you were trying to do/did), no servo connected. In short take it all apart to the point where it was working so we can determine what is broken.

All the 'A' connectors are summed up for power distribution. This means that although you did not specifically connect power from A10 or 11, connecting to A9 was the same thing.

I will have to look over the schematic to see what may have given up electrically.

Do you have a very good inspection microscope or eye loops for tiny detail inspection?

-=Doug

• Was the quad flying/working on 2.8?

With APM2.5, are you using the 3DR Power Module to power the APM?

What was your power source for the gimbal and shutter servo?

-=Doug

This reply was deleted.

Activity