Center of Gravity Question

For the optimum stability where is the recommended COG on the Z axis?
X and Y axis makes sense to have it centered between the arms, does this also apply to the Z axis? If it does, what points would you measure from? Keep in mind this is not for performance or acrobatics just extremely stable flights.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• See this thread for more information in 2012.

• On a plane or helicopter without active stabilization the lowered COG adds some stability. The pendulum rocket fallacy doesn't apply because there isn't an active torque countering the lowered COG.

Active stabilization doesn't require lowered COG. The feed-back loop takes care of it for you. I see that most quadcopters have a lowered COG. That just adds a moment arm that the feed-back loop has to spend more energy countering.

I am just finishing mine and I took care to make sure the COG in Z axis is balanced around the rotor center line.
  • Yes, you would want its Z-position to be in propeller level. Anywhere else and your quad would have to fight the offset when rolling or pitching.

Putting the COG below the prop plane wouldn't give you any extra stability, because of the pendulum rocket fallacy.
This reply was deleted.

Activity