Compass heading not turning as much as plane

Hi

I have a problem with the external compass on my APM 2.6, mounted in a plane. I have been flying in Northern Europe without any problems, and have now brought my plane to Greenland. After having changed to the correct magnetic declination and calibrated the compass, I still have the problem: the initial heading when the plane is powered up is ok, but when I turn it say 180 degrees, the compass heading (red line in mission planner) moves in the right direction, but only say 130 degrees. When I turn it 90 degrees, the compass heading only turns 60 degrees etc. The result is that once the plane is turned 360 degrees, the heading is not necessarily in the original direction (sometimes it is though).

These are my settings:

COMPASS_AUTODEC = 0

COMPASS_DEC = -0.5611234 (radians)

COMPASS_EXTERNAL = 1

COMPASS_LEARN = 0

COMPASS_MOT (XYZ) = 0

COMPASS_MOTCT = 0

COMPASS_OFS_X = -98

COMPASS_OFS_Y = -112

COMPASS_OFS_Z = 15

COMPASS_ORIENT = 9 (which worked fine previously)

COMPASS_USE = 1

LOG_BITMASK = 334

MAG_ENABLE = 1

Any help would be much much appreciated!

Thanks.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• When the plane is moving, the GPS heading and compass heading are off by 10-70 degrees. In Mission Planner, a pink curved line appears out from the plane icon. Is this indicating that the compass and GPS headings are not the same?

I have been flying with the plane, but it can not fly in Auto mode (does not fly towards waypoints but rather randomly).

This reply was deleted.

Activity