Hi Guys,

I've just tried to connect one of these to my ATTOpilot V3.

I hooked it up like this......

ATTO                                               TTL to RS232

Telm IN -------------------------------------------TX-O

Telm Out------------------------------------------RX-I

GND------------------------------------------------GND

VCC (3.3V input)

The 3.3V is scaled down from 5V like this.

I can't seem to get it to work?

Am I missing something?

Should I connect is differently?

It works great with a FTDI (USB) but I need it to work from a DB9 RS232.

(I want to try it over IP as I have a great little IP to serial converter that I use allot at work)

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Views: 549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Scott!

Do the Tx or Rx LEDs come on?

Can you check that your 3.3V is in fact 3.3V when it is all powered up - I am worried that using a voltage divider to power a device will not give very good results.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Hi Andrew! :)

No the LED's do not light up but I am measuring 3.34V at the Serial to TTL Converter?

The LED's do light up if I run it at 5V (well the TX LED does) but Dean told me that the Telm Pin on ATTO is 3.3V so I don't want to connect it at 5V.

What I don't get is the the Serial to TTL converter should work down to 2.8V?

I have also tried running it at 5V and putting a voltage dividers (same as before) between the TX and RX pins of the ATTO and the converter. Still no luck there either. (I measured 3.4 V on the TX pin when doing this.)

Do you think I should try a better power supply for the converter?

If so can you please point me in the direction of a circuit diagram of something I could make or buy? (5V to 3.3V)

Thanks Andrew

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott, The short answer is I don't know. I have had trouble with a similar circuit from Sparkfun as it cheated quite a lot - it did not work without both RS232 Tx and Rx lines being connected. Yours is a little different, so it may be better behaved. Were you powering the converter from a voltage divider? Or just using a voltage divider on the signal lines? Certainly I think using a voltage divider to power the converter is a no-no. This (http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/de-sw033) is one option for converting 5V to 3.3V, but you might be able to get something from Jaycar or Dick Smith or whoever. A 3-terminal linear voltage regulator would be fine if you want to break out the soldering iron - let me know if you want a part number.

Hi Andrew,

Yeah I might rock on down to Jaycar, do you have a part number?

Thanks!

That looks perfect for the job!

It works! ;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service