construction of a drone

Hello friends. I want to get started in this wonderful world of developing UAVs and would like to advise me where I start , I want to start from scratch and implement complex control algorithms for the design of it . Thank you!!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• https://www.sps-inc.ca/ consult them with your project they will help you 

Home
    We are an innovative project controls company that provides third party cost management, estimating, scheduling, field progress measurement, and mode…

• Gary McCray said:

Hi fabio and Kyle,

Kyle I wrote the wiki article you linked - a long time ago.

While it is essentially still true, as to the specific recommendations for particular products, a lot has changed.

Before anything else, you still need to learn to fly a quadcopter and there are a ton of inexpensive Chinese ones that are very well suited to the purpose, you should get a light small one as they survive crashing very well and you do a lot of that when you start.

Fabio, I understand your desire to program your own stuff, but for the most part understand that programming these things is a very serious undertaking and you will need to learn a lot before you can even get started.

Of course you can also take the companion computer route linked by Kyle above and then you have more freedom as to programming.

The most powerful flight controller that is currently available to the general public is the one that we support, the Pixhawk and several variants made by others that still use it's firmware.

You will need to look at and probably interact with the ArduPilot developers group and study their programming methods to have any hope of doing anything worthwhile with it.

As for building yourself, when you are ready, the variety of 250 to 280 sized FPV racing frames would be a good way to start and you can even start with a simpler controller like the NAZE which is also open source and then upgrade to a Pixhawk if you choose to do so.

Don't start with anything smaller than a 250 at this time, it is too difficult to cram a Pixhawk into it.

These are just a few thoughts that might help, if I were to rewrite that page it would be pretty much the same, just the specific examples would have changed.

Best Regards,

Gary McCray

Welcome to the drone world!

I second Mr. Gary's suggestion. Get a Syma X5 or X1 and learn to fly, thats first. That's where I started and I couldn't start anywhere better. 

The first thing I built after that was a KK2.0 flight controller 300mm build from HobbyKing, went on Amazon, bought the cheapest brushless motors and went to the hardware store and bolted some aluminum and plastic sheets together, and that was it! 300s are very stable and they'll teach you the basics to drone construction. 

After that, mess with OpenPilot and try a carbon fiber build. There's plenty of materials on HobbyKing and Amazon.

If you want GPS and Autonomous, then Pixhawk or Naza is the next step.

From there if you still aren't satisfied, go online and find some Arduino builds. I think theres a few resident experts on this forum who specialize in scratch Arduino Uno R3 or Mega builds who'd love to help

Good luck mate! Clear Skies! 

• I am looking to get started building a drone myself.  I have built model airplanes before and painted them really cool.  Thanks for the guidance.

Sam Smith

• thank you very much for your information, my purpose is to start and follow your advice . With initiative can go far.

Gary McCray said:

Hi fabio and Kyle,

Kyle I wrote the wiki article you linked - a long time ago.

While it is essentially still true, as to the specific recommendations for particular products, a lot has changed.

Before anything else, you still need to learn to fly a quadcopter and there are a ton of inexpensive Chinese ones that are very well suited to the purpose, you should get a light small one as they survive crashing very well and you do a lot of that when you start.

Fabio, I understand your desire to program your own stuff, but for the most part understand that programming these things is a very serious undertaking and you will need to learn a lot before you can even get started.

Of course you can also take the companion computer route linked by Kyle above and then you have more freedom as to programming.

The most powerful flight controller that is currently available to the general public is the one that we support, the Pixhawk and several variants made by others that still use it's firmware.

You will need to look at and probably interact with the ArduPilot developers group and study their programming methods to have any hope of doing anything worthwhile with it.

As for building yourself, when you are ready, the variety of 250 to 280 sized FPV racing frames would be a good way to start and you can even start with a simpler controller like the NAZE which is also open source and then upgrade to a Pixhawk if you choose to do so.

Don't start with anything smaller than a 250 at this time, it is too difficult to cram a Pixhawk into it.

These are just a few thoughts that might help, if I were to rewrite that page it would be pretty much the same, just the specific examples would have changed.

Best Regards,

Gary McCray

• I have attitude and desire to develop this project, and get someone to help me finance the rest. And if the idea is to work on the complete design . But I want to start with a very basic level , then enter an intermediate level and finally an expert level . In addition to learning to fly and everything it takes to develop a good product.

grettings

Arbutus said:

Happy to help but that is a very big question you are asking !

Do you have a background in:

Structural mechanics

Power management and control

RF systems

CNC manufacturing

Command and control systems

etc?

Do you have engineering design and manufacturing facilities

Are you competent with 3D modelling software

Do you have a very deep pocket ? !

Perhaps if you have a specific question I could help :)

Regards,

Arbutus

• Kyle - CrimsonUAV said: thanks friend

This is a good place to start in general: http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/build-your-own-multicopter.html

And this is a good place to start with "complex control algorithms": http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/companion-computers.html

• All related to design drones , I start with a basic level, and to progressively increase my levels of performance and development . For now I need full information links
    Dennis Cane said:

What kind of help you are seeking?

• I'm new on the page, I'm adapting to the site
    Kyle - CrimsonUAV said:

I can't seem to read this post, perhaps try reformatting your text?

• Developer

Start simple. Make something basic that works, and then build on it. To many projects never get anywhere because they try to include everything from the beginning.

Also don't fall in the NIH (Not Invented Here) trap. Highly experienced people have spent years making stuff work. You will not be able to recreate this effort 'over the weekend', so take advantage of what is out there instead.

• :)

welcome to the world of ideas, projects and multi-copters.

the best place to start is reading the wiki.

it is complete, well researched and a very good source of info. we have a superb wiki !  :D

This reply was deleted.

Activity