Contour 1080p vs. GoPro HD Hero

Has anyone tried both the Contour 1080p and the GoPro HD hero?  It seems like everyone is using GoPros and I havent seen much mention of Contour cameras.

The Countour, has a rotatable lens and slightly more streamlined shape seems like it would be pretty good on a plane.  From all of the samples I have seen online, the video from the GoPro looks quite a bit clearer, but I haven't found many full 1080p samples from the Contour.

Let me know if anyone has any input as I am debating which one to get.

Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have both GoPro and Contour cameras. I've been using the Contour+ for motorcycle helmet use but plan to install a mount on my UAV. I have no problem either way with video quality of both brands but admit I've typically used GoPro on the UAVs simply because of the readily available gimbals for GoPro. I like the rotating lens on the Contour to give me more mounting options. My interest is to have a little fun with the Contour's Story Teller program to see what speed, altitude and other GPS features the program captures. Contour ..... Go For It!!

I have both, I prefer the GoPro for video quality, mounting, and simultaneous video out.

Contour 1080P for sale.

• Thanks everyone for your input. I think I am going to go ahead and go with a ContourHD 1080p.  You can get it on sale around the web for in the $130 range which seems like a pretty good deal for its features.

• Oh, and BTW, you can't get the Contour1080p anymore.  Unless you find it on clearout somewhere.  (I saw them going for $150).

Now they have the ContourRoam, which is like the 1080, but with a better, more waterproof case.  Then you have the ContourGPS which is just like the 1080, same not-so-waterproof-case and a GPS reciever.  And the Contour+, which has the blutooth viewfinder Android app, external mic input, and vastly improved image quality, and not-so-waterproof-case.

• Alex -

Take a look at the Drift Innovation Stealth camera. I have 3 of them and use them on vehicles, planes and attached to poles. They work great.

Doug

• I did a lot of research before selecting the Contour1080 for myself.  I couldn't conclude which camera had better quality than the other.  A big part of the problem is YouTube slaughters whatever you upload with compression.  And difference in quality which you percieve could simply be down to how Youtube handles the different file formats.  Suffice it to say, the native quality out of the Contour is much better than anything I've seen on Youtube, and I'm happy with it.  I chose the Contour over the GoPro because of some of the things you mention.  I just find the GoPro to be a really cheezy design, looks like something out of cereal box.  I also wanted to use the camera on my motorcycle helmet, and I've seen guys riding with the GoPro and they just look like dorks.  A rather shallow reason to choose a camera, but in the absence of any really good reasons to choose one over the other... 

The Contour is also really easy to mount filters on.  Just need to buy the mounting ring.  Using it when it's mounted on your helmet and you have gloves on is WAY easier than the GoPro.  And the laser pointer is handy as well.

I think Contour has really knocked it out of the park lately.  The Contour+ is head and shoulders better than the Contour1080 and GoPro.  They've also instituted a BluTooth viewfinder app which is awesome. 

You should also check out the Replay camera.  New guy on the block, but looks really impressive.

This reply was deleted.

Activity