Warning #1: an issue has been found with Tower's Pause button which can cause the vehicle to fly to an old position if the vehicle has not sent a position update to Tower in some time.

Warning #2: Copter-3.3.2 fixes a bug found in Copter-3.3.1's desired climb rate initialisation which could lead to a sudden momentary drop when switching from Stabilize or Acro to AltHold, Loiter or PosHold.

Warning #3: Copter-3.3.2 fixes an issue found in Copter-3.3.1 which could lead to hard landings in RTL or AUTO if the WPNAV_SPEED_DN was set too high (i.e. >400 or 4m/s) and/or the WPNAV_ACCEL_Z was set too low (i.e. <100 or 1m/s/s).

Warning #4: a bug was found in Copter-3.3 which could cause a sudden crash if you abort a Take-off initiated from a ground station.  Video description is here.  The bug is fixed in Copter-3.3.1 so we recommend upgrading.

Note #1: AC3.3-rc8 corrected a long standing bug in the HDOP reporting.  HDOP values will appear about 40% lower than previously but this does not actually mean the GPS position is better than before.
Note #2: if upgrading from AC3.2.1 the vehicle's accelerometer calibration needs to be done again.
Note #3: set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL to "3" and reboot the board to enable FrSky telemetry like in previous versions.
Note #4: the wiki will be updated over the next few weeks to explain how to use the new features

Copter-3.3.1 is available through the mission planner.  The full list of changes vs AC3.2.1 can be see in the ReleaseNotes and below are the most recent changes since AC3.3.

Sadly this version (and all future versions) will not run on the APM2.x boards due to CPU speed, flash and RAM restrictions.

Changes from 3.3:

1) Bug fix to prevent potential crash if Follow-Me is used after an aborted takeoff

2) compiler upgraded to 4.9.3 (runs slightly faster than 4.7.2 which was used previously)

Changes from 3.3-rc11:

1) EKF recovers from pre-arm "Compass variance" failure if compasses are consistent

Changes from 3.3-rc10:

1) PreArm "Need 3D Fix" message replaced with detailed reason from EKF

Changes from 3.3-rc9
1) EKF improvements:
    a) simpler optical flow takeoff check
2) Bug Fixes/Minor enhancements:
    a) fix INS3_USE parameter eeprom location
    b) fix SToRM32 serial protocol driver to work with recent versions
    c) increase motor pwm->thrust conversion (aka MOT_THST_EXPO) to 0.65 (was 0.50)
    d) Firmware version sent to GCS in AUTOPILOT_VERSION message
3) Safety:
    a) pre-arm check of compass variance if arming in Loiter, PosHold, Guided
    b) always check GPS before arming in Loiter (previously could be disabled if ARMING_CHECK=0)
    c) sanity check locations received from GCS for follow-me, do-set-home, do-set-ROI
    d) fix optical flow failsafe (was not always triggering LAND when optical flow failed)
    e) failsafe RTL vs LAND decision based on hardcoded 5m from home check (previously used WPNAV_RADIUS parameter)

Thanks for your testing!

Views: 374816

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They act like 4 separate ESC's, 25A each.  If one fails, the other 3 still work. The wiring is so simple and clean. Two power wires. For X8, stack them.

Per eCalc (which I don't fully trust) the X8 will pull ~5A per motor @hover, 20A full throttle. Why on earth would I use 40A ESC's.

I really push the quad hard (aka Dixie Cup) with the Quattro. 

BTW, Steadidrone uses Quattro's on their setups.

No room inside the frame, so it fits neatly underneath. No spaghetti mess.

Expecting moderator to step in at any time :)

Greg,

We won't fix the dual GPS issue in AC3.3 I'm afraid.  That will be an AC3.4 improvement.  I'm going to change the wiki to say that we don't recommend a dual GPS solution for copters until this enhancement is in.

Trent,

I'm really not aware of any changes that would cause that kind of behaviour.  As far as I know when the throttle stick is moved just above the top of the deadzone (for example) it will command a very small climb rate, not 20%  We can look into this but the log would be good to see first when you get a chance to upload.

I use the same thing with no problem. I can't believe they haven't been more popular. Way less RF noise, cheaper, and and much better wire footprint. I have yet to see any downside. It all adds up to a very clean build. 

IvanR,

Great.  No need to do AutoTune I think at least in order to resolve this problem.

Thanks for providing the link to the vibration mount.  We can't be completely sure because each copter is different but from the vibration data it looks like this solution is not as good as the 3M foam or hobbyking orange foam mentioned on the vibration wiki page.

Danny,

Sorry but did you post dataflash logs anywhere?  Ideally with the logging-while-disarmed bit turned on.  It's likely that the EKF is unhappy with the velocities coming from the GPS but we will need logs to be sure.  The "Bad AHRS" message sounds like something else is going wrong (like an IMU).

I was able to load up the above file into the latest beta version of the Mission Planner.  I haven't analysed it much 'cuz it looks like it's a forgone conclusion that it's an ESC issue... still, I just wanted to mention that MP can open the file.  By the way, normally we like the .bin files because they're a little smaller.

A correction to the 3rd point.  I checked with our GPS maintainer, Michael DuBreuil, and as Josh Welsh says, the baud rate is being set back to 38400 so it won't help to change that with u-center.  Sorry!

Michael also suggested that Paul Atkin may want to disable SBAS (i.e. set GPS_GNSS_MODE to "1") because based on you location you could be picking up a WAAS satellite from very far away.

Graham,

Thanks for testing.

That's normal if you're arming in Acro, Stabilize or AltHold mode.  If you managed to arm in Loiter, Drift, PosHold or Guided without a GPS lock then I definitely want to see a dataflash log!

DG any chance you flashed those with BLheli? 

Looking at the Alt hold performance on a breezy day for RC10 it looks like the Alt graph line is following the DAlt better than the BarAlt. does this mean the accelerameters are out performing the Barometer under these conditions or is it an avalible trust issue making Alt look better than Baro Alt?

What could be done to improve the alt hold in this case?

Just for reference I will post the IMU, Vibe and RCO graphs.

Hi Henri,

Autotune only saves if has completed the tune. That means it needs to successfully complete all requested axis before it will save the tuned pids.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service