Cost for a low-Medium Range Hobby Drone

Seeing the AR Parrot drone sparked interest for me in the field of POV flying and even UAV drones, and so searching around a bit, I found this site.

I have two questions, one, having viewed the SenseFly Swinglet (What appears to be a minimalist wing with a single motor), I have to ask if a similar project could be accomplished for less than the retail value of 9,000 dollars, which seemed ludicrous.

The other question, is what parts/expertise would I need, and what cost time/money would I need to build a project with the following functions:

Self Stabilizing,

Fixed Wing(Or Quadrocopter, whichever undertaking is cheapest)

Multi-Waypoint Auto Pilot
-and-
POV live video feed Flying as an option (What would the range and or latency be on a live video feed?)

Radio Controlled capability as a backup. Also, if possible, and preferably, controlled via laptop.

I am completely new to the hobby, and would like to know what modern technologies exist, and or do not exist, to accommodate the above features, and a Ballpark estimate as to how much I should expect to sink in to this hobby over the short and long term.

Many Thanks to the DIY Members, I enjoy reading the articles and such!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The Swinglet is not a "hobby drone" it is a commercial tool to be used to make money. A lot of research, time, sweat and tears goes into creating a system like that. While it may appear over priced (and they usually are) a large portion of the price goes to recover the cost of development, testing, research and runnig a business.

Building a "hobby drone" for under 1000 is way different from building a flight dependable, money making system to be sold, supported and entrusted to commercial undertakings.

And no , I am not associated with any commercial builders. I am just now getting materials together to put together my first Easy Star UAV.

Feel free to search the forums and blogs for more information, see here for a really great place to start http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/a-newbies-guide-to-uavs .
  • Developer
    Hi Aaron,

Under $9K. No problem. More like $1K with all of your requirements met, if you are thrifty. Radio control via laptop is a bit of work and additional expense. POV video can be done and the latency is maybe close to zero. Range of a couple miles will still fit in the $1K budget.

How much to sink into the hobby in the long run? How much do you have - LOL!
This reply was deleted.

Activity