Hi Guys,

I had a minor crash today and I would greatly apreciate any help help I can get from you guys:)!

I have been flying this setup without problems with about 60 minutes of total air time experience. I have been flying in stabilise, alt hold and loiter without any problems. Loiter and alt hold are very stabile.

Today I took off in stabilise, then switched to alt hold and then loiter. Everything was going fine. I flew around in loiter mode, where the sticks simply control direction while maintaining altitude. When I was about to land I was still in loiter and brought the quadcopter down to about 4 meters, still in loiter. Then I thought I switched to alt hold but from the log I can see that I switched to stabilise which should also be fine. However the moment I switched to stabilise the all motors stopped and the copter dropped from the sky. My throttle was a bit above middle which should be fine to hover. My copter hovers fine at around 50% throttle. From the logs I can see that throttle out is reduced to almost zero when it enters stabilise mode. Throttle in is about 50% you can see that I raise throttle as the copter drops. When it hit the ground I lowered throttle to zero.

Any help is greatly appreciated:)! Below you can see graph of throttle in, throttle out, voltage and current. I do not have any low voltage alarms or cut-off enabled. Logs are also attached. I removed the beginning of the flight in the .log file since it was larger than the 7mb limit.

I'm using Arducopter 3.0.1 release.

3691071793?profile=original

2013-10-23 11-17 6 Reduced.log

2013-10-23 10-08-56.tlog

2013-10-23 10-08-56.rlog

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I believe I have found the issue. One of the wires going from ESC to motor was broken. So just as you mentioned it was indeed a mechanical failure. There was a bit strain on this wire which probably caused it to break during vibration and wear. I will recheck all wires and solder extensions if needed. The esc was the back left one(2 in X setup) which corresponds fine with the video where the quad drops to the left side. Here is a picture of the wire break. Thanks again leonardthall and Randy! Your help is greatly appreciated:)!

3692864209?profile=original

• Developer

Yes, I agree with Leonard.  It's most likely a mechanical failure which causes it to lose roll control.  To see it you need to graph the NTUN message's DRoll and DPitch (desired roll and desired pitch) which are the right-most columns in the NTUN message.  The graph the ATT message's Roll and Pitch (i.e. copter's actual roll and pitch).

3692863872?profile=original

They desired and actual stick together pretty well right up until the last moment and then suddenly diverge.  It might seem a strange coincidence that it happens as you switch to stabilize mode but actually it goes horribly wrong before the switch to stabilize (about 8/10ths of a second before).  So the copter is already leaning over at 95 degrees to the left when stabilize mode is engaged.

Impressive flight time though!  I looked at the log files and thought, "jeepers, are multiple flights being concatenated? These logs are huge!".

• Developer

The problem isn't that the motors stopped it is that you had an un-commanded roll to the left. As you go past 90 degrees the motors go to minimum to stop you from accelerating hard into the ground.

Is this a hex?

You have removed the beginning of the log and that takes a lot of information from us that we use to understand the problem.

This reply was deleted.

Activity