Development Help: Tethered UAV to provide Image Processing Data

Hello!

I'm an undergraduate mechanical engineering student working on a senior design project. Our goal is to develop a UAV with the following characteristics:

• The UAV is tethered to a power supply on a ground vehicle (maximum length is ~50 ft)
  • The UAV has one or two mounted cameras. These cameras need to have some image processing capability (perhaps OpenCV) in order to detect artificial markers on a ground vehicle (and eventually natural markers, but that is for later work)
  • The UAV needs to be able to autonomously take off from the ground, position itself relative to the ground vehicle, and land back on the ground vehicle (there will be a landing platform)
  • The UAV needs to be able to communicate with the ground vehicle to provide its relative positioning
  • This system will be used in fields, so Wifi is not available (not sure how GPS correlates, but that may not be available either)

As you can imagine, there are a fair amount of complexities to this project. It is early in its design stage, so I was hoping to get in contact with a community (and what better community than this?) in order to get ideas and hear from personal experiences that may help this project.

I thank you in advance for any contribution you have!

- Bryce

Views: 732

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bryce,

I think my red-balloon-finder and Daniel's precision landing have much of what you need to get started.

Thank you Randy! I'll definitely look into these projects to start gathering ideas

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service