DGPS with my local Ground Station ???

I have 2 ArduPilot bords and 2 EM-406 GPS. I was wondering what could I do with a spare board and GPS...

Would it be possible to interface the second GPS on the ground station and compare the ground station's GPS position to the UAV's GPS position ?? Would it be a primitive DGPS ?

(Image taken from http://www2.tech.purdue.edu/resources/gps/positionalquality.htm)

The position between the ground station and the UAV could be more accurate !!! It would now be great to upload the ground station's position to the UAV. This way, navigation thru waypoints would be more accurate ...

Please tell me if I'm wrong.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This will be a game changer when someone puts this chipset into a small oem serial board... here in Australia we would get comparative positioning from Beidou, GPS, GLONASS & eventually Galileo in one module. Give it twelve months they will be available.

LOCOSYS announces multi-GNSS receiver solutions supporting Beidou
    Consistently pursuing being the leader in GNSS solution provider, LOCOSYS announces multi-GNSS receiver solutions supporting Beidou is ready. This series contains pure module type, PCie type, smart antenna type and G-mouse type.

Pure module options: MC-1010-B, MC-1612-B, MC-1613-B, and MC-1513-B
    PCIe option: LS2603x-B (PCIe full mini card and PCIe half mini card)
    Smart antenna options: LS2003x-B
    G-mouse options: LS2303x-B

Feature

- Various option in dimension and antenna integration
    - Sensitivity up to -165dBm
    - Lowest power consumption: 23mA
    - Standby power consumption: only 6uA
    - Support hybrid AGPS (ephemeris prediction)
    - Multi-path detection and multi-tone active interference canceller
    - Operation temperature - 40℃ ~ + 85℃
    - Made in Taiwan, ISO/TS 16949 certified facility

This series can discover GPS, Beidou, GLONASS, Galileo and QZSS constellations. Featuring a multi-GNSS receiver design, this series can reduce the cumulative distance and positioning error accumulated over time/multiple hops, and significantly improve navigation/positioning accuracy. Different footprints and dimensions give customers options for mobile, industrial and automotive navigation applications.

• Do a Goog on Poor Man's DGPS.
  • Hi Jason,
    I'm afraid 2 recievers outputing computed GPS position will not help you, however if you can place one (or both) the units in a mode where they output pseudorange and code measurements then you can do some 'heavy lifting' processing to compute accurate corrections.

The corrections could be of two forms:\
    1). LAAS - basically DPGS corrections but highly specific to your position. A fixed 'reference station' knows it position highly accurately, and therefore can sense variation in the timing of the GPS signals from each satellite and build up a model of the atmosphere and communicated this to a 'rover'. Most 'rover' GPS receivers should be able to process this type of correction. I don't know of any 'free' software which can do this, but would love to find out that there is some...

2). RTK - pretty much the same as above, however the base sends details of each satellite (rather than a modeled atmosphere) and the rover must do some pretty heavy processing it's self. The RTK stream itself is fairly low bandwidth (around 200 bytes/s). There is a 'free' project (http://gpspp.sakura.ne.jp/rtklib/rtklib.htm) that can perform the calculations, and is said to work on a Beagle board.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve you may be able to record the pseudorange data in flight and post process, for example if you are trying to work out accurately where a photo was taken. You may even be able to 'downlink' the pseudorange data from the drone and compute position on the ground, but I fear that any latency will make the position irrelevnt.

Cheers,
    Mungewell.
    RTKLIB: An Open Source Program Package for GNSS Positioning
  • Jason, I think your idea is theoreticaly very interesting. I have little idea of how it would work in practice, but a few considerations;
    - as I understand it, the 406 GPS has a 1Hz update freq. If the plane is moving 10 m/s there will be somewhere between 0 to 10m diff in the relative gps possitions from the two gps's depending on how syncronized they are.
    - There might be a transmission problem. The ardupilots are currently using one way telemetry I think, so there will be some work related to feeding data from gps1 to gps2. (Or is the 406 waas enabled, so you can send data directly on the waas freq?, if so isn't the gps reading such datas already? and isn't the waas freq. restricted - for protection against interference?).

PS; if such a systems worked, it might have been of great help in order to make automatic landing possible also for diy systems.
  • A starting point would be to put the two GPS units in a clear area a metre apart. Log the two GPS units for a while then compare the results and see what the correlation is.

Everything I have read indicates that using two GPS units as you have proposed does not work but no harm in trying at least for your own self satisfaction!
  • Admin
    Ken,
    putting it differently , what do I need to make my own diy WAAS ground station? ( some thing I wanted to exploit so called extra accuracy in my GPS)
This reply was deleted.

Activity