I am in the process of buying components for my quad and I would like to know if I need the ppm encoder to go from the ar8000 to pixhawk?  

Any reference pictures how other did this would really help me see the best method.  

Will be using a Spectrum DX8 Radio with the ar8000.

Thank you in advance.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Guys,

I got the DX8 and I am using ppm encoder with pixhawk.

Does anybody know the right order of the ppm encoder? 2435?

I cannot get my to work.

• Chad, I am using a Spektrum satellite receiver as well. Did you have to remap the throttle and pitch channels to get things working correctly? I had to use the RCMAP settings to swap pitch and throttle, but given the bugs in the Arducopter firmware related to using these settings, I would like to avoid using them. I was thinking about using something like the AR8000 and remapping the channels by swapping the wires into the multiplexer to work around it.

I am using a DX7 transmitter and didn't see a way to swap the channels on that either.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Huge thanks on the tuning tipoff. We haven't done all of this, which is probably exactly why we're not stable at all. This changes up my approach quite a bit. Still plan on getting the PPM encoder working, but definitely will start here first.
  • So we've flown the Quad a few times only using the Satellite receiver. Control has been a huge issue. I've lost control 2 different times in which the throttle was still responding, but direction was not at all. Whichever direction I attempted to change to once it got a certain distance away it just kept drifting in the same direction. Not sure if it's getting out of range and then "stuck" in the last directive it was given, or something else?

Any advice, similar experiences, solutions?

I did get the PPM encoder in the mail the other day. So I can set this up, but would really like to identify the root cause of the lack of control first.

Thanks
    • I really doubt it has to do with the satellite but possibly there is interference with it do to placement to close to other electronics.  My bet is that it is a tuning issue where you need to adjust throttle and other parameters for your quad so it is flying correctly. 

If you run the PPM encoder and it solves the problem, let us know but I would say it is something else most likely.

• Ok, Thanks. I've got some time this week with the break so my plan is to troubleshoot quite a bit. When you say adjust the throttle and other parameters I assume you mean to recalibrate through APM? Anything specific beyond what it gives me that I should be looking for?

In regards to the placement, my GPS isn't mounted on the stand; I have it directly on top of the plate mounted above my pixhawk. 

• Thanks for the responses. We gained some big time ground last week. Got Mission Planner running, and the satellite worked fine once I got calibration started. Unfortunately when we got off the ground we went into an immediate flip that resulted in a broken prop. Definitely a learning experience.

Checking the wiring this week and hopefully we'll be back to calibration by midweek and in the air by the end of it.

To be clear, the satellite without the AR8000 is working fine. Got it bound using the AR8000, stuck the satellite onto the plate, plugged into the spectrum connection, and haven't needed the AR8000 since.
  • The PPM encoder works like a dream on my Air Titan. DX9 with AR 8000 twin satellites.
  • DIY Quad

I am trying to not use the AR8000 as mentioned previously.

I've bound my DX7s to the receiver by plugging 1 ESC into the AR8000 and THRO out, and using the bind plug as well. When I unplug the AR8000 and try to use the receiver directly connected to my pixhawk, I don't get any response, just lights. Should all of my motors be responding to my transmitter?

What am I missing?

Thanks guys, forum is very helpful.
This reply was deleted.

Activity