Does the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) fairly represent recreational UAV activities?

The problem as I see it is that the AMA managed to get their rulemaking "authority" into the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, Senate Bill, Section 607(g).  

Specifically in the preamble:

In this section the term ``nationwide community-based organization'' is intended to mean a membership based association that represents the aeromodeling community within the United States; provides its members a comprehensive set of safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground; develops and maintains mutually supportive programming with educational institutions, government entities and other  aviation associations; and acts as a liaison with government agencies as an advocate for its members.

Since the only "nationwide community-based organization" is the AMA, they become the de-facto rulemakers for recreational UAV use.  In fact, the quote above is similar to the AMA mission statement.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• No, I don't think they do.  The recent total miss on the new FPV/UAV code of conduct total miss is evidence of that.

I think we (well, you, I'm not in the US) need to form your own body.

This reply was deleted.

Activity