Hi drone community,

This is my first forum topic on diydrones.com.

I am new to the drone community and am trying to learn more and more each day.

I can envision hundreds of applications and opportunities for drones in the future. 

Most recently, I can see how drones could be a huge asset in wake of the typhoon in the Philippines.

Imagine a large squad of drones going out to do aerial recon missions to locate survivors, mark their position via GPS, and then have a second squad of drones carrying medical supplies, water, blankets, etc. and dropping them off at those waypoints.  What a huge help!  

So my question is, are there currently drones that can carry large payloads such as gallons of water or large containers full of medical supplies?  If not, what would it take to build something like that? Would the drone have to be converted to run on gas instead of Lipo batteries?

Thanks!

Views: 263

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This wouldn't be hard for fixed wing aircraft, but very difficult for copters.

That's what I suspected, so what exactly are the limitations with copters and heavy payloads?

Is it just a matter of more efficient batteries, bigger props, better electronics or a combo of many things?

A copter needs power all the time or it falls out of the sky. An airplane only needs enough power to maintain forward flight at a velocity great enough to generate adequate airflow over its wings which bear the weight of the aircraft and it's payload. The copter needs enough power to counteract gravity directly and it has no wing area to generate lift, just spinning props sucking down the battery.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service