Eagle Eyes Antenna Tracker

I am aware of ardustation and its built in antenna tracking capabilities. However it does need a 3dr radio to work, and the last thing i want to add is yet another transmitter to my copter. Theres just no space for one (im trying to avoid emi). The front has the gimbal and a camera, the back has my video antenna and ontop of my tower i have placed my gps, compass and rx.

From what i can tell the EE AT seems to be a different solution and also has available ready built the platform to the pointing of the antenna to the direction of the strongest signal. One thing however has me stumped. The doco constantsly refers to two rssi inputs and im guessing it moves the antenna about to get the strongest signal. However their own demo (on YT) and many others always only show a single antenna. Does this require 2 or can it work fine off 1 ?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• No.

EagleEyes uses telemetry encoded in video (yes, really). And antenna tracking code is running in EagleTree autopilot itself and it sends only servo positions down trough video channel. It is very strange but I understand why they chose to it this way.

Josh said:

I am using a pixhawk 2.1 fc with TBS crossfire. I also have an eagleeyes ground station with antenna tracking. Is there a way to transmit gps data through the smartaudio on the vtx so the antenna tracking works?

Eagle Eyes Antenna Tracker
    I am aware of ardustation and its built in antenna tracking capabilities. However it does need a 3dr radio to work, and the last thing i want to add…
  • I am using a pixhawk 2.1 fc with TBS crossfire. I also have an eagleeyes ground station with antenna tracking. Is there a way to transmit gps data through the smartaudio on the vtx so the antenna tracking works?

• Have a look at IBCray's solution. Uses two receivers to compare signal strength and pan antennae accordingly.
    • The only thing i dont like is you require 2 rx so the system can guess the better antenna. Also im not sure but if you want tilt correction you also need another 2 rx.

• Could you provide a link?
  • Perhaps you are confusing antenna tracking and diversity. Eagle Eyes has both, but the tracking part requires Eagle Tree gear on the plane to send the GPS position to the tracker via the FPV audio channel. The Diversity part only requires a second FPV RX and antenna, and it will pick the strongest signal between the two. It doesn't use RSSI however, so your post has me confused. Perhaps I'm answering the wrong question.
This reply was deleted.

Activity