EM406 GPS problem, please help

HelloI bought the original Ardupilot and I got the EM406 GPS with it when I bought it. I have been able to set it up as shown in the manual and I have been doing all the tests according to the manual but I am having trouble getting the GPS to work. I have been running the GPS test for the past few days on and off and i am still getting the same message “no GPS, last 20s”. As there is no setting for EM406 GPS i have had it in NMEA for these tests. Any help on this would be greatThanks everyone

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3D Robotics
    You should not have in in NMEA mode. The EM406 should be in SIRF mode (1):

It's all described in the configuration file.
    http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot/wiki/HeaderFiles
  • Test 1 thing at a time. Is the GPS light OFF (completely!), very dim, ON, or blinking?

OFF = power problem

Dim = Binary mode. Since you are using NMEA it should not do this.

ON = trying to get a fix.

blinking = position fix

Do not move on until you know where to put the GPS so that you can get a position fix.

Step 2. The NMEA parser has been well neglected. It may or may not even be working. Don't try to use it unless you have to. Use the EM-406A's binary protocol instead. 

In AP_Config.h, about line 45, you want GPS_PROTOCOL to be SiRF:

#define GPS_PROTOCOL 1

// 0 = NMEA

// 1 = SIRF, 

// 2 = uBlox

// 3 = ArduIMU

// 4 = MediaTek, 

// 5 = Simulated GPS mode (Debug), 

// -1 = no GPS

Compile, upload, run. Report your results. 

Note:The GPS fix LED may "stick" on, off, or may be dim at this time. After a power cycle the GPS will remain in binary mode and the LED should be dim any time power is applied. (When commanded into binary, it doesn't always set the LED right until after a power cycle.)

The EM-406A will remain in binary mode until its internal battery dies, 4-6 days without power. You will not see NMEA streams coming out of it in a serial monitor.

This reply was deleted.

Activity