ESCs & DCBM vs Pitch controlled stabilization

Me again... 

I appreciate the patience and help that several of you have put out in my cries for FNG help.

I can't find any good info on why I was told that a IC engine quad rotor with collective pitch rotors would not be able to respond quickly enough to keep it stable.  If I configure the APMs ESC wires to control the digital servos for the swashplates instead of DCBMs and have separate throttle control for IC engine RPM, would the change in pitch be so slow that the bird would be hard to stabilize?  I don't want to do any crazy 3D or monkey flip flying, just stable.

I realize that the ESC DCBM combo is way fast, but I can't see the blade pitch changes being that far behind.

How long does it take the airflow/thrust to change with the blade pitch changes vs DCBM speed changes?

Thanks for input and any links to data or personal experiences.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer
    Collective pitch changes will be more than adequate.  Have you seen RC helicopter 3D aerobatics....  It is simply a question of complexity, vibration, etc....  In general the 4 motor electric setup is far simpler to deal with, but there should be no problem with control of a properly designed IC airframe using collective pitch control.
  • It will be fast/responsive enough, You do not even need gyros....

http://vimeo.com/9417579 (not me).

However more parts = less reliable not to mention dealing with vibration.

Always pro vs cons, for most here it is not worth it.

groetjes

Peter

This reply was deleted.

Activity