Euler/rotation matrix/DCM help

Hi Guys

I am trying to get my head around theory in terms of design a complementary filter for a UAV. This is only very basic stuff to begin with. Could someone tell me whether my below statements are correct and if not offer any help?

My setup is a 3axis gyro and accelerometer. I believe I need to convert these values from the local domain to the global domain, i.e. with respect to the ground? and not just the aircraft itself?

This is done by putting the gyro output through a euler matrix? (same as a rotation matrix?) and then integrating the gyro output to give a euler angle for roll, pitch and yaw.

the accelerometer outputs need to be applied to a direction cosine matrix in order to get the euler angles? however yaw cannot be computed from an accelerometer and therefore we can neglect here?

we then "fuse" the data from both to give a more accurate reading? this sensor fusion process is something im yet to look into

hope someone can help me with my confusion

Tom

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3D Robotics
    That's heading in the right direction. We all use the DCM here for sensor fusion, and you can read this for a primer. Also, there is a lot more here.

Out of curiosity, why are you writing this from scratch? ArduIMU and the UAVDevboard already have this implemented.
This reply was deleted.

Activity