Does anyone know where to find the supposed Dos and Don'ts regulating onboard electronics for sUAS?

I have a question about certain types of radio equipment to be used on mine.  A wideband receiver that reports GPS data (coords and time), frequency and received signal strength indicator (RSSI) to my ground station whee a circle that stays put on the map will be drawn around my current acft position.  After the platform gets several hits the circles will all have something in common....the position of the transmitter.   

Now for the punchline,....a friend that works for one of the big $$$ UAS companies tells me that the FAA forbids any kind of DF equipment on board civilian UAS in national airspace.  There is not really any "DF" equipment here on the platform, the processing is done on the ground statio.

Let me know if anyone has knowledge of this or a link to the FAA reg that specifies it.

Could we get a FAA Forum started for the members to ask questions and also start a running list of topics that we can use to our benefit as a group by dealing with the many safety ad command & control issues that will arise from the FAA in the future?

Views: 187

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The FCC is the authority in the USA. Depending on the purposes and frequencies used, there are a variety of regulations as well as restrictions and often licensing. Getting caught violating the FCC regualtions can definitely ruin your day or life.

From 2009 FCC Part 95.215 regarding radio controlled aircraft:

"If a Federal court finds that you have willfully and knowingly violated any provision of the Communications Act, you may be fined up to $10,000, or you may be imprisoned for one year, or both. (See section 501 of the Communications Act.)"

Thanks Duane,

I'm not worried about breaking any laws, it is all off the shelf public domain commercial stuff.

I was in the world of the blind where the one eyed man was king....as a surveillance tech when I was a kid in the mil.  We were well versed on all the dos, don'ts, and better nots.

My big problem now is figuring out how to get the APM code to shift rotor pitches instead of ESC/speed control.

My receivers use the same signals to control servo or ESC. The ESC converts the control signal to control motor speed while the servo converts the same signal to control servo arm postions. On my helis I can use either servo controlled pitch with constant speed drive from main motor or a seperate motor with an ESC. Depends on whether I want control/stability of variable pitch rotor or less complexity of a rotor motor (low cost, less control, no bi-directionality)

Thanks again Duane

I know this should probably move to another topic thread.....but

So maybe the idea of working blade pitch can be done with the four ESC connections.

What kind of electronics/AP are you using?  APM?

I haven't even studied the APM outputs enough to know where I'll control the throttle from.

I am awaiting IC 100cc 4 stroke engine, also trying to confirm stupid ideas before I push the buy button for three T gearboxes and 4 right angle gear boxes (2 x CCW) all 12 mm shafts (lengths to my order) and supposedly can handle up to 6000 RPM.  The calcs I did on a few sites say that with 24 - 26 inch blade diameter at between 3000 and 5000, I could lift, hover, fly and maneuver 25 lbs with plenty to spare.  We'll see when it's on fire in a farm field. 

Also I am trying to find out if the T-Rex 700 3 Blade Flybarless heads can be flipped around or modified for the CCW pair, and if I can get or make collective pitch only swashplates. ....And if the "symmetrical" in the symmetrical Heli Blades means that I can flip them over and rotate them in opposite directions.  A balancing nightmare too...

"IC 100cc 4 stroke engine"

Thats bigger than the engine on my trailbike when I was a kid!

Yeah, you need a servo to control throttle. Actually an ESC is a relatively new way of converting the signal for a servo to control an electric motor. You might get more help from IC RC airplane groups and forums. This is actually "old school" technology, it's been around long before electric motors and ESCs.

Sometimes you have to go back in time to get to the future. : )

A quadcopter relies on ultrafast response to maintain stability, and neither gas engines nor variable pitch props have the speed necessary to react fast enough to be stable.
The tech for multicopters is very different from conventional craft, even R/C helis.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service