Feature Request: Dynamic Home Point

I also sent this request to 3DR for the Solo, but I'd like to see it in the general Pixhawk too (maybe we can test it first in the Pixhawk platform?), here's my suggestion for a new feature:

I'd like to suggest an enhancement for Solo Pixhawk which will help in many situations, but especially when flying from a boat or other situations where the operator may need to change the home point for an automated failsafe RTH.

I named this "Dynamic HOME Point" or "Dynamic Home": Basically it uses some similar technology as the 'follow me' mode, in that the Home position is dynamically updated throughout the flight as a position 20 ft out and 20 ft up from the operator's position. Then when the Solo Pixhawk needs to perform a RTH (either failsafe or if the operator presses the Home button), the Solo Pixhawk would return to the last received Home position, but it will then hover 20 ft out and 20 ft up from the operator, waiting for the operator to manually land (or to press a button to continue to automatically land). If the battery reaches a critical low power state, then it could stop hovering and land automatically, as a last ditch effort to save it from falling and damaging itself (if it was over water, it would sink anyway)

This would increase the chances of recovering the Solo aircraft and solve the issue if flying from a boat, and the boat was drifting, or moving.

It could also be used in other situations such as when someone is moving and perhaps using follow me mode and would prefer the Solo Pixhawk to wait patiently nearby the operator if a distance was traveled during follow me mode.

Of course, this 'Dynamic Home Point' should be protected and only be allowed to be enabled if some "Advanced features" were enabled.

I hope you will consider implementing this feature.

If feature requests should be in a different forum, please feel free to move this.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes it is actually a requirement for certain operations with drones for professional use I am surprised UGCS does not have it in any of there versions yet

Rich B said:

Does anyone else have an interest in this idea, or am I the only one?

Someone told me that this is very similar to a "Return To Me" feature that may have been considered in the past.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!

Rich

• As an aside, where did you submit the idea to 3DR?

I have a few thoughts I'd like to share but don't see any official method of doing this apart from going through the support system. Did you just post in the solo channel here or go through their website?

• I forget where I submitted it. At one point they had a method to submit ideas and requests, perhaps it was an email I received, or a feedback method? Sorry that I don't remember.

You could always submit a support ticket, but they may not take that as a suggestion.

Perhaps try the various methods of contacting and providing feedback, twitter, their Facebook page, here, support tickets, etc?

• I like this concept but it definitely falls in the advanced category.

I have wanted to fly from a moving boat for some time now (years) but haven't gotten up the courage because of having a static home position. If anything goes wrong, bye bye copter.

• Does anyone else have an interest in this idea, or am I the only one?

Someone told me that this is very similar to a "Return To Me" feature that may have been considered in the past.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!

Rich

• Your smart device would transmit its GPS position back to the PixHawk via the data link. Follow me is a GPS following, not an optical follow me.

This reply was deleted.

Activity