We're moving to a new documentation platform and this is your opportunity to give us feedback and help. There has been a huge amount of work going on behind the scenes on these over the past three months, including the 30 volunteers working within the Documentation User Group. It's now time to include the full community.

You can see a glimpse of the team's work in the betas of the new ArduPlaneArduCopter and ArduRover sites. Click on the "Instructions" tab to see what the new manuals will look like. 

Right now most of the work has been in creating new graphics and design elements to make the manuals easier to read and use, with some work on simplifying and updating the content. But because they're based on a Wiki-plugin for WordPress, it's also a much more powerful and flexible collaboration environment than the current Google Code wiki for community participation, and we can now take this opportunity to update and improve every page of the manual. 

Just a reminder that these sites are still in beta, and we won't be steering users to them until the documentation team has had an opportunity to scrub every page. We'll continue to maintain the Google Code wikis for legacy purposes, but the new sites are designed to reflect the model we'll be moving to in the future. 

Please give us feedback in this thread. If you'd like to participate, please join the Documentation User Group linked above. 

Views: 6394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One quick note, maybe add these links on the old "current" wiki landing page with a blurb telling people that it is still work in progress... I get quite a few emails per day on what version of the "manual" to use... :) 

Thanks, good work so far, can only get better. 

Dany

I get it =) and approve! But sadly it will be lost on most. Hell from reading posts here many 1st time flyers don't even read the wiki.

Honestly when I read the towel method I laughed because I thought - Now I have a good reason to really carry around a towel!

I haven't take a deep look into it, but seems great. Good job!!

After a quick review - it would seem that APM 1.0 and 2.0 hardware setup should and could be included.

Those are not moving targets and already mostly documented.

Also in the safety section I see nothing about "Ariel right of way".. meaning that if you see a manned flying vehicle in the air  at a low altitude then you should be heading to the ground ASAP. 

This is very important and should be one of the 1st things in the safety guide. Human safety is far more important than any of your non-human hardware. To underline the point... if you need to crash to get out of the way that *IS* what you do. If not you risk ruining the hobby for everyone.

Also an explanation of what an autopilot does and what that means to you the reader.

Simply put an auto pilot relies on environmental conditions to perform as desired.

GPS, Magnometers  and other sensors can get false positives or fail in flight, this is why its extremely important to rely on the human factor as the ultimate backup. These are not remote control devices that fly based on mechanical input only. They use logic and sensors to determine their orientation heading and speed from sensors which can be prone to being affected by other environmental issues. Most people think "Well GPS is reliable it works great in my car" w/o appreciation for the complexities of the GPS (or any other sensor).

For that very reason GEO fence is nice, but certainly not a completely reliable fail-safe.

Hi,

The links on the Arduplane downloads page points to arducopter downloads.

farmertom

Leveraging all of the community wisdom to create the Wiki is exactly what was needed. Thank you.

Thanks Tom.

Good idea Dany, thanks.

Here is an outline of User Manual 2.0:

Installing hardware is going to be the first part of the Setup chapter. 

Proper mounting of the APM is critical to success, it will not be overlooked in the manual :-)

All the information about the older boards will be retained.

Any issues that relate to life, limb or eyesight will get unambiguous coverage!

All fair points, Neil. A well informed operator is one of the most important safety factors.

Community wisdom is the original author, now it's time for some community editing ;-)

It's going to take all of us, to get this right.

That's a sample from one page in the wiki, WordPress makes it possible to pull up any past revisions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service