FPV hardware questions

Hello All!

I am a total noob when it comes to aerial video. I have a basic understanding of the required hardware, but no experience to guide me in the selection process.

Here's what I have:

Autopilot:

Ardupilot V2
Ardushield V2
ArduIMU+
ublox 5 GPS
xbee 900 mhz

Airframe:

Sr. Telemaster 8' wingspan all up weight 10.5 lbs, Electric power on 6s 5000mah

Here's what I want to do:

Transmit video to ground over a 2-3 mile range, primarily for recording and replay after the fact. Eventually perhaps FPV operation.

Overlay OSD of GPS, Battery, Way-point etc,

A general list of generic components required would be helpful to confirm my existing beliefs.
More specific advice on individual components from those who have experience with components that work well together would be appreciated.

Right now my primary desire is to educate myself through your advice and form an understanding of all the components and the way they work together.

As I understand it I need the following:

1) A CCD camera ...Any suggestions

2) Some system for overlay of OSD information (can this use the datafrom the GPS on the Ardupilot?)

3) 100mw output Transmitter (for a 2-3 mile range, I believe over this I need a Ham operators license, correct? What frequency offers the best clarity and reception, while not interfering with the 72mhz Radio gear and the 900mhz xbee)

4) Receiver for above (with dual output if I want to do FPV)

5) Some kind of recording device/display for FPV if desired.

Any input/advice no matter how small is appreciated.

Thanks all!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not a big expert but I'm testing a few bits and pieces.

I use the Range Video stuff and it works fairly well. I still use XBEE telemetry because, even with the OSD, you can get out of range quite easily.

I also send up a Sony MHS-PM1 (bloggie). Nice features are the posable head and very light battery. You can get the older model at sub-$100 prices. The nice thing about having both cameras is I can focus on FPV without bothering about picture quality since I'm not recording that signal.

The cool thing about your Telemaster is that you can lift some really nice HDD or Flash memory cameras without difficulty.

The next thing to overcome is stability (See my post).

Coupla things I'm working on

1) using the Sony camera for FPV aand recording simultaneously
    2) rotating jig - most of the kits can only handle the smaller cameras

As for the display device, I've got a small portable Sony DVD player that doubles as a display. Also, picked up a USB video input dongle which let's you use your laptop for the video signal. This way I can use the laptop for Video and Groundstation - you also eliminate the OSD since the Groundstation gives you the same data.

I guess you could go nuts on the full blown kit with VR goggles and head tracking but.. I'm more interested in fairly good quality recordings.

BTW - loved your earlier vids - are you using flycam?
  • This is the Video subsystem I currently use:
    Sony Webbie
    Range Video OSD
    1.3 Ghz Tx 1500mW (my RC is 2.4Ghz, thus 2.4Ghz Video is out of question )

Hope this helps
  • Developer
    Nathaniel,

Although there are people here who are in to FPV, I think you would get more response to your questions if you posted them in a FPV oriented forum.

I have little FPV experience. I'd answer your questions as follows:
    1 - the camera doesn't have to be CCD. It is just a matter of the weight and picture quality you want. Some people use CMOS cameras.
    2 - There are many OSD systems on the market. Remzibi is relativly inexpensive and there are people working on integrating it with ArduPilot so that you don't have to have 2 gps on board.
    3 - 100 mW sounds low to me. I use 500mW. But I am no expert.
    4, 5 - yes
    #2 above
    Anyone have any comments on Rembizi's OSD?

What other hardware are people using successfully with it?
This reply was deleted.

Activity