Hi All,

Based on the very negative reviews on Amazon.com it sounds like the GoPro Hero3 Black Edition is a piece of crap that GoPro should have never released in its present form. Have any members experienced problems with their GoPro Hero3 Black Edition?

Regards,

TCIII ArduRover2 Developer

Views: 12113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly right, I normally try to let somebody else take that first leap, but I figured it was a GoPro, in common use everywhere, what could possibly go wrong?

I'm 68, I should know better by now.

Shoot Gary, I thought that you were one of those young whipper snappers and not 68:-). You got me beat by one year:-)

Regards,

Wow....I've had zero issues with mine, same goes for my mate with his....must have been lucky. My mate's one is one of the first ones, mine is a couple of months old.

the 2 second wifi delay is just how they are unfortunately,

I also don't have any problems with my gopro 3 black. Make sure you update your firmware.

Hi Stuart and Howard,

I was mostly just unlucky, but a significant portion of the initial batch of the Blacks had a completely hardware based problem which caused them to do an internal firmware "crash" into some sort of tight loop which rapidly drained the cameras battery and caused it to heat up very quickly.

If I had not removed the battery within a couple of minutes of this happening it would have destroyed the battery and possibly caused a fire.

GoPro has NEVER admitted this, but if you check other sites (NOT GoPro) you will find lots of people had this problem.

It was not caused by the firmware and could not be solved by a firmware upgrade, but that is what GoPro tried to make everybody believe.

And they would offer no other solution until you went through the silly firmware upgrade charade at least several times with them on the phone each time taking over an hour to get through have them tell you to do it "again" and walk through the process with you.

After the fifth time and numerous email complaints they were ready to look at mine so long as I didn't mind if they charged me for it if it turned out to not be their problem.

At this point I gave up with them because it was still in it's 30 day return for full refund period and sent it back.

My conclusion, the GoPro Hero 3 Black is normally a really great product.

GoPro the Company is absolutely horrendous.

They have done absolutely nothing in the intervening period to change my mind on either count.

I bought my go pro last spring and have had a couple issues with it.  The record button doesn't work most of the time, usually takes about 25 presses to either stop or start recording.  This didn't happen until i crashed my copter with the full gopro case on.

Another issue is that it sometimes locks up but I haven't updated the firmware yet.

Other than that it's done the job.

Hi

Having watched some awesome movies on the Go Pro web site, I decided to jump in and buy the Hero 3 Black edition.

Take it from me, this camera performs exactly how it looks - a toy camera.

It cannot handle or compensate for scenes with dark and light, it will lighten the dark and blow out the light, skies are purple and not blue. It suddenly stops recording video when it wants and then starts again when it wants.

It is a piece of junk and I would not recommend this camera to my worst enemy.

Maybe I just picked up a bum version, but based on everything else I have read - it would appear many others know this to be a terrible waste of money.

Tom

UK

I guess different people have different experiences. I have three GoPro Hero 3 cameras, two whites and a black. I haven't had any issues with any of them. I get spectacular battery life --but noticed that using the battery backpack didn't seem to extend the useful time by much, if any. All of my video comes out crisp and very well defined and I've gotten some spectacular video and stills from the cameras. I fly them all on multirotors, so far all DJI products but I have a 3DR X8 on the way and plan to fly the GoPro on it too. The cameras do seem to be fussy about vibration and most of the anti-vibration mounts I've tried has only made the jello effect worse as well as adding some bobbing action. I have found that a brushless gimbal like the Beholder does a good job if you defeat the anti-vibration mounts by putting RTV in the centers of the little silicone grommet things. 

But as far as reliability, video duration and general ruggedness (crash survival) I can't complain. I suspect that because of the different reviews I've read that a) GoPro's quality control is lacking, b) people misuse/mistreat them, and c) a lot of them work just fine. I also own a Contour Roam, a Swann and Emerson sports cams and the GoPro is leaps and bounds better. 

Are the cameras worth $300?? I'm not expert enough to comment, but I've been told that the video I've gotten from my GoPros is on par with Sony, Kodak and Nikon cameras with ultra wide angle lenses that cost more than a grand each. For amateur-hobby use they are well suited. I can't comment on GoPro support because I've never needed any. The first one I bought was DOA though, and Best Buy replaced it over the counter the same day I bought it. After that I am three for three great cameras.

From my own perspective, considering what we fly them on, the way we mount them, and the way we use them, they're a good deal. My suggestion to anyone who buys a camera is to make sure you get it from a reliable dealer with a good return policy and then see for yourself whether the camera is worth it or not. If you hate it, send it back.

@Bob,

Thanks for the user perspective and the wise words on making a GoPro Hero3 camera purchase.

Regards,

Just to throw an opinion into the mix. I was unable to justify the price of the GoPro after trying a Sony HDR-AS15. I may buy a GoPro eventually but this was half the price and still shoots beautiful 1080P video at 60fps.

All of the video in this flight is from the Sony. 

I understand that Sony's sport cam is pretty good. I have no personal experience with it though. Looking at it on Sony's site makes me wonder if it would be problematic to mount --like the Contour. So many of the gimbals are made with a flat shelf or the GoPro in mind and rounded cameras pretty much demand you use a tripod adapter or some other trick to mount them. :-)

I have both the sony and the gopro black. The gopro gets a lot more useage, I prefer the output. The stills are full resolution rather than 1920x1080. it is easier to mount for my needs (Mountain biking and multicopters).

The Sony has a better live feed over wifi with minimal lag though, and the battery life is better I think. but if not using the WiFi software on a phone, it needs to be removed from its housing to change settings.

The Sony isn't bad, I just prefer the black.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service