GoPro wireless transmission and Rx / Tx radio transmission

Hello all,

I have a question about GoPro. I am planning to buy GoPro 3 with wireless built in mode.  But can i transmit video to the laptop over wireless or it can only send video to the iphone and ipad ? 

Other question about video transmission: I saw some users transmit video over Rx / Tx transmission even the camera has wireless feature. The reason why they prefer radio signals over wireless transmission to transmit video is to increase range or something else? Am i going to have problem with video transmission over wireless ?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Borrowed my mates GP3, only used the GP2, turns out it was broadcasting WiFi, decked my plane and GP3 =/

• Pretty much inconsiderate and bad design

The 2.4GHz band is generally unregulated.  The FCC rule stipulates that users agree to not intentionally interfere with others, and they must tolerate inadvertent interference from other users.  There's hundreds of different protocols in use on the 2.4 GHz band, so expecting any of them to proactively "work with" each other is unrealistic.

• Yes. DON'T DO it!!! I know it from first hand.

I did a gopro rangecheck but did'nt do the RC rangecheck. Flew for 10-15 seconds and my hexa started to act up and plunged to the ground from 10 meters up. Two CF propellers digged into the wet ground and I feared the worst. I only got a bended alu gimbal and a bad ESC soldering. 

Afterwoods I thougt it trough and came to the solution that the GoPro wifi must have interfeered. I went home and googled, and it came up as 2. 3. 4..... answer... :-! 

The idea of using the Gopro wifi came up in the late hours the day before an importent flight :-(  Secondary option for that day was flying with video TX 5.8 GHz, but I did't get to fly with it....!

My hexa is back in the air and flying like a dream :-) and I'm older and wiser.

• Hi Fatih,

Our radio transmitters and recievers transmit on 2.4 ghz band.

The GoPro's WiFi transmits on 2.4 GHz band.

RC Transmitters are designed so they don't (generally) interfere with each other.

WiFi transmitters / receivers are designed so they generally don't interfere with each other.

Unfortunately quite often they are not designed so that RC receiver transmitter doesn't interfere with WiFi transmitter / receiver.

Pretty much inconsiderate and bad design.

However, even if your RC transmitter / receiver does work with GoPro WiFi there is another significant issue.

With my GoPro Black (returned as of one month ago) connected to my 7" Nexus tablet, the Live Preview picture was totally screwed up: it periodically locked up, often de-pixellated and periodically twitched like a dying bug. On my IPad 4 the picture was OK but the delay was 3 to 4 seconds.

They may have improved this since, but I would make sure first.

Also range on WiFi is quite short, often less than 100 feet and very unusable for FPV.

The FPV cameras and transmitter / receiver units broadcast in real time without delay and are capable of much greater distances up to several miles.

Caveat - i have a hero2 with the wifi backpack, but it isnt/wasnt possible to transmit that video to a laptop and the only way i have done it is via my android phone and NOT whilst on my quad. Youll probably find that the wifi and your rx/tx will share the 2.4ghz freq and youll likely crash.There has been at least one post on here with someone documenting the result of just that problem.

• Developer

Don't do it. There has been reports that the WiFi from the GoPro can crash the r/c control if they are both on 2.4Ghz.

Wireless has the same meaning as Radio Signal. I assume you mean WiFi.

Usually for transmission of video from a UAV it is done using a analogue signal, the reason being is that analogue video transmitters are cheap and digital ones required to send a signal that can be sent over WiFi are expensive, or too low quality.

This reply was deleted.

Activity