Growing Up - From Amateure to Pro in light of existing Civil Aviation guidelines on UAVs

Hello All,

I would like to introduce the following topic, having come across a FORTUNE

of information regarding everything and anything to do with the legal, safe,

licensed and regulated use of UAVs, as published by the Israeli Civil Aviation Authority (ICAA)

during late 2011, and in effect today.

As this information is new to me and consists of hundreds of pages of guidelines,

directives, methods of operation, testing, build validation, training, control and

what have you - alas, all in Hebrew and with many terms that are new to me -

I will kick this off with my key intention here:

Can the DIY Drones community work with such guidelines, if made available, to advance the

APM 2.5 flight controller, add-on sensors and logic boards, and the fantastic Mission Planner -

to comply with such given requirements?

For example, mention was made of the UAV FC being programmed to be aware of

various regulated airspace by designation (Airports, Military, Flight paths and corridors etc) -

where they are in terms of geographic zones - and the definition of the UAVs mission

in terms of a virtual "Bubble" - in space as much as in Time, with the ability to avoid these

pre programmed zones (much like the DJI Tienanmen No-Fly Zone) and alert the operator

as to any breach of these parameters.

Or the very specific need for various what-if operations and safe-return routes in case of

a control error / comm breakdown / failsafe event  -

One can't simply RTL if there happens to be a 6 lane highway in the automatic RTL flightpath!

This is the real stuff that sets the adults apart from the boys, if ever anyone aspires to use

these Ardu-Systems for commercial and legal applications.

If anyone is up to this, I am sure this would help with prepping all concerned towards

safe and responsible UAVeeing that could be made readily available for proper commercial

operations.

While I have my fingers crossed for Trappy, I am one to believe that any serious future for

our wonderful new "toys" calls this community to put its hacking and maker skills to work

at the "grown-up" class, now that we really HAVE proven that this stuff can be made to fly

out the doors of  garages and home workshops across the world!

Cheers,

Gil

Views: 573

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Getting craft and operations properly licensed and registered, would

help with the No. 1 catch to commercially operating UAVs:  Insurance.

Attached is Darryl Jenkins' view on the topic  :-)

Gil

Attachments:

1. Unfortunately I don't know of any specific public storage thing, though it seems like this should be on some form of a WIKI framework, most preferably connected with the already existing APM wiki -

Let's look for one. It would be interesting to have both a storage box and a forum to discuss each document in more detail, so that all discussions are threaded.

2.  As to RPAs, I can understand targeting the ~ 7kg range, however, the Israeli AUW / Aircraft take-off weight classification, as defined in circular UAV
    AW1.4.001A is:    0.2 - 1.5 Kg   Micro UAV     1.5 - 15 Kg    Mini UAV     15 - 150 Kg   Light UAV

The UK also has different classifications from Brazil. So it makes sense to just refer to them as "those light RPA's as classified by the reg body in your country", which in your case means up to Mini I guess.

-------

Determining if the vehicle is fit for flight has to be the responsibility of an aviation authority approved body or testing centre, Resource UAs in the UK can do that sort of thing on behalf of the CAA. In the USA DHS has a centre and the FAA hope to announce 6 test sites later this year. Airworthyness would never be something this community could sign off.

I agree. It's also clear that the preference is to focus on airworthiness only, which is also a sensible decision.

The ardupilot.com site has a wiki and it looks like it's one server running a couple of different instances. Perhaps another experimental one can be added there for this purpose. I'm not sure if the wiki itself can be converted into  a PDF later for off-line viewing, but that would be a bonus.

The same site has a forum that could have a category added where threads can be started to discuss specific topics.

Also looks like that wiki can store documents linked to from one page with some easy descriptions on them and citing the sources from where the documents are collected. That by itself; a page that contains documents from various countries documenting the legislations is already an achievement.

You're right about insurance and how this goes hand-in-hand with certification. Probably insurance takes the form of model aircraft; insurance against third parties with protection clauses against ignorance and where the craft is operated and a coverage ceiling that's inline with a premium.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service