Help for a complete noobie

I am a film producer and was just recently introduced to the idea of using a helicopter drone for film.  The more I have researched the more fascinated I have become with the idea. That being said I am in desperate need of your help.  I am so new to this that most everything in the forums just goes right over my head.  I don't have the foggiest what most of it means.

I am looking to find a helicopter drone that is capable of carrying something as large as a dslr.  I think it would need a gyro gimbal (I think that is what it is called) to help keep it level and smooth.  Also, the ability to see the video from the helicopter so that you have an idea of what you are capturing.  Thats about it.  I don't need a million bells and whistles because I wouldn't know what to do with them.

Any suggestions? I don't even know where to begin. It appears you can build them yourself for much cheaper but then as I said I don't know anything about them and it seems complicated.  Any recommendations for the cheapest helicopter out there that still has good enough quality and matches what I am looking for?  I would love something in the thousand dollar range but I don't know if that is totally unrealistic?

Any help from all of you experienced pros would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jake

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Jake Sorensen

you save me a lo of questions with this thread,  I'm about to buy the Phoenix R/C Pro Simulator V4.0 w/DX5e  to start my training... how did you project went  since may...? did you build your quad..??  I'm in the same position you were months ago... I want to start in this.. and was looking for a RTF quad or Hexa  capable to carry my DSLR Camera....

• Well I took the plunge. I followed your advice (charles) and ordered the X525 Kit.  I received my RealFlight G6 simulator and have begun practicing my flying.  The kit will begin to arrive hopefully this week. A question for those of you who have flown quads.  When I practice with a normal helicopter and move the tail rotor (left joystick moving left or right) it rotates the helicopter.  However with the quadcopter on Realflight it does not appear to do anything.  Does this not function not exist on quadcopters or is it a problem with the simulator? 

Cant wait to begin the learning process.  Thanks for everyones help and advice.

Jake

• one of my mate who work for an advertising company used TREX 450 and a go pro camera for pre filming ( check the angle and direction of camera before the actual filming ) Then later he used a hexa for his real production.

• x-plane Seems to be popular but there are a lot out there the best is just a matter of opinion.

http://www.x-plane.com/downloads/landing/

• Any thoughts? This is all so new to me and I would like to know what simulator gives you the best training experience at the most competitive cost.

• What is the best training software to use to learn a quadcopter? I found one called RC helicopter simulator.  Is that a good one to use or are there better programs out there?  I use a mac. Is it still helpful to practice flying a simulator even if it is using the computer keyboard or are there programs that you can use the actual controller?

• Jake,

Unless youre planning to hire an expert pilot to fly your multicopter for you Id strongly recommend building a simple and inexpensive quad with a basic flight controller to learn the basics of multicopters before jumping into something expensive. No flight controller is completely foolproof and there will be times when you will have to take control to avoid an accident and building your own will teach you what you need to know when something breaks and you need to fix it. You can buy an ARF quad for less than $150 USD to learn and crash with. 

• Yes it will carry a DSL !  Doroid works are made to order around $5000 +.  Sorry to say 3DR frame stuff is do it your self & infirior frame design interms of wight & materials. for a beginerr going with dji controler would be a lot easer.  MQ600,Foldable T580P+ packages or Bumble Bee are around $500+

• Practice in a simulator software like Aerofly. Put some serious hours into it even before spending any money. And I disagree with Bim, you will crash your drone in the learning curve.

• recommend getting ready to fly kit with a trainer . Most packagers do not com assembled & need some RC knowledge in putting them together. I carry a line of ready to fliy crafts that do not need to be pieced together & programmed. this is done for you from the factory. I Also have pleased bundles together for beginners that have all the nessey equipment. I recommend a MQ600,Foldable T580P+ packages or Bumble Bee. But I recommend Droid works frame with APM for a craft with hex or octo configuration this is big money. http://WWW.OFFTHEGRIDWATER.CA/

OFFTHEGRIDWATER.CA, RC UAS UAV DRONE Systems
    RC 3-axis Brushless gimbal
This reply was deleted.

Activity