Help Using MinimOSD and 915MHz Bidirectional Telemetry

I am wondering how ppl are using minimOSD and the bidirectional telemetry capability with the APM at the same time? Most documentation I see say one or the other or you send the tx to the OSD and the rx to the 915mhz antenna... This makes me believe that the ground station would then not receive the telemetry..

I would like to have the telemetry data on the OSD and going to the ground station as well...

Is there a special cable to split the signal to both the OSD and the transmitter?

Let me know how other ppl are doing it.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I made the splitter cable from a female servo cable, worked very well.

Just strip back 5mm plastic shielding between APM and 3DR plugs and solder in the splitter cable. Before soldering slide 12mm heatshrink tubing onto each cable being soldered.

From your diagram (shown below 3DR and OSD) the 3DR Tx needs to be connected to OSD Rx, +5v to +5v and Gnd to Gnd

You do need the telemetry working.

• Angus, yes you do need to add pins and cut a hole in the case.

However, you can also add a splitter as suggested.

I just think adding the pins was more elegant.

I have another apm 2.5 I'll wire that one with a splitter.

As far as I know you need to have both Air and Ground radios to output the telemetry, will test this tomorrow as well

• See comments in this post

use-osd-telemetry-at-the-same-time

• Ok so I think I have it... ?

So, the 3DR radio will be the dominant component so it is connected as normal. In order (as printed on board top to bottom) GND, CTS, 5V (redwire),RX,TX and RTS has nothing but a blank pin hole on the plug.

So if I am to piggyback the OSD in parallel by making a splitter cable out of 2 telemetry cables, reading the plug in the same orientation as on the radio you would have (note to have the plug in the same orientation on the OSD as the radio, the writing on the OSD is upside down) ; BLK, GND, 5V (redwire), RX, next is the removed TX wire in the plug, then GRN is a blank pin hole.

So the OSD only has BLK, GND, 5V (redwire) and RX connected. TX was removed from plug and the 6th pin is blank where GRN is on the OSD board pins. These BLK, GND, 5V and RX are soldered in parralel to the 3DR cable?

Can Someone Please confirm if I am on the right track with this, Cheers

PS Does this setup mean I have to have both Air and Ground 3DR Radios to be working to have OSD? 

• I am interested on how people do this too, as I have found no documentation of it anywhere. I am using 433Mhz 3dr radios not that it should be any different.

This reply was deleted.

Activity