I decided to purchase the Xpro Heli Camera Mount 2 to add to my SK-450 quadcopter platform.

When I opened the box I was impressed with the craftsmanship, but skeptical about the tinsel strenght of the 1/8" aluminum landing gear.    I figured it MUST be aircraft aluminum.    I get a big X for assuming that.   I figured before I buy a gopro I better test this gear out.  So I went and got a 400g weight to substitute for a GoPro and ziptied it to the camera shelf.   I also grabbed an 8 pack of AA batteries still in packaging and ziptied it to the bottom of my LiPo battery since I'll be swapping out my 2200ma for a 6000ma battery soon.  Anyway headed over to Colt State Park to test out the gear.   If I were you, look for landing gear made of G10.  G10 is very strong.  Also look for landing gear that has a wide stance, it will be more stable during takeoff.

Here's are photos I took after the flight tests with the new flight gear.  Note: this was not a crash, look at my frame, my quad is fine.  This is a landing with just a little forward velocity.  The landing gear could not handle it:

3690945729?profile=original3690945804?profile=original3690945784?profile=originalNote: The landing gear cost me 3x more than my frame that I have not destroyed while learning how to fly!  G10 flexes just enough not to stress the fiberglass arms.  Well done. 

The landing gear.. I hope to get a partial refund at least.  They claim it's compatible with a Guai 550x

and similar sized frames.  My frame is a 450.  

I figured I'd post the pictures up here to save the rest of you the hassle of spending money for nothing.

I'm real happy with the performance I am getting from my quad... but real disappointed with the performance of this landing gear.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It quite possibly is 6061 alloy which is "aircraft grade", but unfortunately they never tell you what the temper is It's probably "O" which is dead-soft, instead of T6 which is what most people think of as "aircraft grade".

The problem is "aircraft grade" is a pretty meaningless description.  

• Developer

Looks like the manufacturer was more interested in first time buyers rather than repeat buyers.  ah well.

This reply was deleted.

Activity