How to ... install a camera in a UAV body?

Hi,

I am worried. I bought a Bormatec Maja airplane in which I´d like to install a camera (canon ixus? panasomic lumix?) for mapping purposes. Hence the camera should be installed into the "floor" of the plane. However, I am too worried cutting a hole into my new plane only to realize that I messed it up!

Is anybody aware of a tutorial video or does anyone has some tips how to start and/or what to consider before/after installation?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Jens

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Keith,

Could you upload or send the CAD files of the maja drone itself?

Regards,

Jurian

Keith Geary said:

Hi Michael,

I really liked the Maja, but wanted something that could carry a larger camera, so I got a wide bodied one, although it took me a long time to get it flying, so I bought a SkyWalker2013 last summer and it has done most of the work.

Here are some images that may help you, see the ones above that were posted last year, but be aware that the ones with the SONY NEX7 are of the Wide Bodied Maja;

3702364267?profile=original3702364341?profile=originalThe CAD files are below;

How to ... install a camera in a UAV body?
    Hi, I am worried. I bought a Bormatec Maja airplane in which I´d like to install a camera (canon ixus? panasomic lumix?) for mapping purposes. Hence…

• Keith Geary said:

Hi Michael,

I really liked the Maja, but wanted something that could carry a larger camera, so I got a wide bodied one, although it took me a long time to get it flying, so I bought a SkyWalker2013 last summer and it has done most of the work.

Here are some images that may help you, see the ones above that were posted last year, but be aware that the ones with the SONY NEX7 are of the Wide Bodied Maja;

3702364267?profile=original3702364341?profile=originalThe CAD files are below;

Hi, can you load all model of plane? I want to measure stress with solidworks.

Thanks!

• Halo Jens, 

Just my 20 cents advice :-D Put everythig (batteries, camera, all the electronics) in the plane, get your CoG right then you can cut the hole for the camera. Make a simple sponge mounting for your camera make sure the zoom lense doesn't poking out of the fuselage belly.   

Cheers.

• Hi Jens,

1. Place the batteries in the front, mount the motor and prop on the back, elevator and rudder. Then place the camera inside and see where the Centre Of Gravity is.

Your Maja should have a few screw holes for the wings, so you can adjust the wing to the C of G, then once you've mounted everything properly, you can move the batteries a little, or use lead car wheel balance weights, embeded in the nose. Better to be nose heavy than tail heavy!

2. You can trigger a Sony NEX camera by using a IR trigger, which connects to a servo channel, I'm still playing with the settings on my IR trigger, so right now CHDK will work best under the Ardupilot. You can buy an IR trigger from Gentles in Edinburgh, Scotland, they call it ShutterPLUS.

Where will you be flying? I am based in Nottingham, England, but fly all over the UK.

Best of luck,

Keith,
    • Hi Keith,

thanks again for your ideas! I will do my best! Yet, until April I will be in Africa from tomorrow on. Definitely I will be flying in southern Morocco, Ethiopia and Namibia. That are the places were my scientific projects are (I am an ecologist).

Besides that, I will be flying (if ever) mainly in northern Germany. I am living in Hamburg, not far from the UK. If you ever pass by, say hello! :)

best!

Jens

• Hi Jens,

I assume you have the standard Maja body?

I had a great guy in the UK design and make one for me to carry two Canon s90's, one converted to IR.

3701666183?profile=original3701666036?profile=original

3701666300?profile=originalWe put the autopilot (Gluonpilot 1) in the top half with the RC receiver;

3701666357?profile=originalWe then replaced the IR camera with a Tetracam ADC Micro, we had to butcher the plywood and 3D printed a base, which was secured to the bottom of the Maja's Corex sheet;

3701666314?profile=originalYou can buy a tray online from a German firm and adapt it;

3701666368?profile=originalAssembly Services Online in Germany sell this tray and a nice mount...

We have just built a Wide Bodied Maja to take a Sony NEX7 and Tetracam MCA 5 with ILS;

3701666424?profile=originalThe camera lifts out and the Autopilot stays flat inside, as we had issues with it sitting upside down whilst powered up.

We also find this design allot stronger, having one piece in the bottom, rather than two pieces!

3701666336?profile=original

Best of luck !

• Hi Keith

I know this is old, but is it please possible to forward me more detailed CAD drawings for the above Gimbal?

Regards

Michael

• Hi Michael,

The camera is not mounted in a gimbal, just a plywood form lined with foam.

• Hi Keith Thanks

• Hi Keith Maybe I used the wrong Wording. The guys at Bormatec forwarded me a link to a Camera Gimbal, which I would like to fit in a frame something the one you have

This reply was deleted.

Activity