Ok those small UAVs controlled by a phone or watch are all over the place now.
Why there is no straight forward way for someone owning a pixhawk and a phone with droid planner to control it without having a RC connection established?

When I try to arm it from the phone with the RC radio off, it doesn't want to arm (droid planner 3/ tower app)

Even 3drobotics site says for their iris that there should be someone with RC connected ready to take control at any time.
Otherwise their commercials are pretty sweet, they just don't shoot the guy on the back holding the big controller

So, what is the work around?

Views: 2009

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

re: How to use our "drones" without the bulky rc radios?

You are exactly right.

I have responded re. subject line.

My reply should  read:

I have lost my RC unit, how to replace RC with GPS-enabled 3G smartphone.

thanks

And the answer would be... then develop a smartphone or plug in controller that has controls suitable for controlling a drone.

Past court cases indicate that people who drive with their knee or use other obtuse methods that cause them to lose control and result in them injuring someone get enhanced charges and rather long prison sentences.  And based on the fact that you've been clearly told that it's reckless to do what you are proposing there would be a clear cut case against you should something happen.

Jake,

could you provide me with legislation, court cases links, mentioned by you ?

The issue is you don't get any better protection if operating certified vs. non-certified remote control in case of failure or crash.

Just call FAA re. Amazon's case.

I am living on the safer side operating smartphone controlled boat ( RC replaced by smartphone, 2 engines controlled by 2 channel PWM controllers.

In case of private RC drones, manufacturers should implement, emergency saving equipment ( parachute ejected in case of failure, to let your drone to safely glide to the ground)

A boat is probably a different issue.  A cell phone is probably plenty suitable for one dimensional control like that.

Google "reckless endangerment" for legislation and case law, although it of course extends to manslaughter also if you were to kill someone.

A person commits the crime of reckless endangerment if the person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person.  The accused person isn't required to intend the resulting or potential harm, but must have acted in a way that showed a disregard for the foreseeable consequences of the actions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service