Hello,I am a Mechanical Engineering Technology student @ the University of Cincinnati in Ohio USA.I am starting to work on a very complex hybrid aircraft modeled after the Pelican drop-Ship found in the Halo series video game. For those of you that are not familiar with what this aircraft looks like I have attached two in game screen captures. As seen in the images; each rotating engine nacelle houses a VTOL thruster and a forward flight thruster, making the control scheme very complex. In essence it will be a Quad with rotating nacelles and "twin engine" airplane, all in one.I am looking for lots of help in developing / modifying a system for controlling such an aircraft. If any can help / is interested in helping, I'd greatly appreciate it.ThanksMax Oltersdorf

halo3_121626280_Full.jpg

halo3_121626308_Full.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Please pretend for a moment that you are actually interested in purchasing a RC Pelican

Customer Survey

Remote Controlled Vertical Take Off and Landing Aircraft

The project is to develop a scaled prototype remote controlled VTOL hybrid aircraft modeled after the Halo Pelican drop-ship.  By answering the questions below you will help determine the relative importance of each feature.  Please take a few minutes and answer. 

How important is each of the following:

1= low importance     5= high importance   Please circle your answers.

1)      Similarity of appearance to Halo Pelican Drop-Ship (not exact)

1          2          3          4          5          N/A

2)      VTOL ( vertical take-off and landing)

3)      Flight stability

4)      Low cost

5)      Safety and Indoor safe flight

6)      Legal to fly in the USA

7)      Simplicity of preflight setup

8)      Fitting into a trunk of midsize car, fully assembled

9)      A known scale ratio (size only)

10)  Easy for one person to fly

11)  Inexpensive  replacement parts

12)  Durability

13)  Easy to Assemble and maintain

14)  Please list any other specific features which you would like to see included on possible future models.  _________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________.

Thank You!

• http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805319

I bet it would be an interesting project but unless you want to do it, it doesn't sound like it's absolutely necessary.

What manufacturing process were you intending? Just sheet metal bent in to a turbine or something more exotic?

Laser sintering seems like the only additive process which would have sufficient strength to handle high rpms.
  • Thanks for the replies thus far!
    As a mechanical engineering student I can make new blades for the edf's that ill be using.
    I am not concerned about the electrical issues that will arise as I already have help with that.
    I am however in dire need of assistance with the coding... and "auto pilot" / stabilizer / mixing hardware selection and or design. 
    # of channels needed = 9 minimum, 11 preferred
    • 6 channels for ducted fans
      • 4  for downward nacelle thrust
      • 2 for aft thrust ( left / right)
    • 1 for landing gear
    • 1 for rear door (optional)
    • 1 mode selection of auto pilot (or could be a physical switch)
    • 2 for nacelle servos (left right)
  • I'd use (4) Jetcat P80 engines in rotating nacelles.

The rest would pretty much be fuel tanks and electronics.

• i think you could go with APM, using arducopter as software base, modify it to let it yaw with servos instead of differntial speeds on specific motors

-> you have a great hovering platform now you need to make it fly forward with controled flap movement....

Between the Halo Pelican and the Avatar Scorpion, people have really begun some difficult projects!

It used to be that everyone wanted a Predator type UAV, but now its gone WAY beyond that.

This reply was deleted.

Activity