Hybrid Aircraft (Halo Pelican drop-ship) software help?

Hello,

I am a Mechanical Engineering Technology student @ the University of Cincinnati in Ohio USA.

I am starting to work on a very complex hybrid aircraft modeled after the Pelican drop-Ship found in the Halo series video game. For those of you that are not familiar with what this aircraft looks like I have attached two in game screen captures. As seen in the images; each rotating engine nacelle houses a VTOL thruster and a forward flight thruster, making the control scheme very complex. In essence it will be a Quad with rotating nacelles and "twin engine" airplane, all in one.

I am looking for lots of help in developing / modifying a system for controlling such an aircraft. If any can help / is interested in helping, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Max Oltersdorf

Views: 1103

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i intend to "copy" the one that i have then flip the blades. no real design and analysis
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805319

I bet it would be an interesting project but unless you want to do it, it doesn't sound like it's absolutely necessary.

What manufacturing process were you intending? Just sheet metal bent in to a turbine or something more exotic?

Laser sintering seems like the only additive process which would have sufficient strength to handle high rpms.
For the "copied" blades I'd probably use molded epoxy or some other plastic resin. with the possibility of just CNC cutting small aluminum ones if the mass works out to be close to the same as the originals.
The rest of the EDF would be reused. I'm using small ones 55mm.

As for the rest of the aircraft it will most likely be made out of CNC'd 1 lb density EPS foam, with balsa reinforcements were needed.

As I have said before, my major concern is the mixing of the output channels and stabilization of the craft via some sort of on board computer system such as the APM+IMU. However, I don't have enough experience with programing to work out the complex coding.

Interesting.

As far as programming, someone just rewrote the ardupilot code to include the latest APM libraries(http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/ardupilot-lives)

I haven't looked at the code, but a work in progress might have fewer features and therefore be easier to identify and understand the core functionalities. Similarly, some of the earliest versions of ardupilot code would likely be equally informative.

http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot/downloads/detail?name=ArduPilot1...

I'm not much of a programmer either but I can't think of a better way to learn. I'm working on a similar project attempting to add dead reckoning functionality to the code.

If you do decide to machine some molds, you may consider selling counter rotating blades as there seems to be an unmet demand. So long as you're making a solids or surfaces model, you might consider uploading it to thingiverse.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,

Gerry

Thanks Gerry!

Do you know were i can find I2C ESC's?

Don't suppose you have any pointers for programing them?

the mikrokopter guys have two different models low power and high power

there are also other brands like 1hoch4

and you can use reprogram some of the standard ESCs like turnigy plush to use I2C

I have written an arduino demo program for controlling these ESCs, will post it later this day

Thank You !
here is the code. For any questions -> drop me a message or a mail ;)
Attachments:
Thanks

This helps alot

Please pretend for a moment that you are actually interested in purchasing a RC Pelican

Customer Survey

Remote Controlled Vertical Take Off and Landing Aircraft

The project is to develop a scaled prototype remote controlled VTOL hybrid aircraft modeled after the Halo Pelican drop-ship.  By answering the questions below you will help determine the relative importance of each feature.  Please take a few minutes and answer. 

How important is each of the following:

1= low importance     5= high importance   Please circle your answers.

1)      Similarity of appearance to Halo Pelican Drop-Ship (not exact)

1          2          3          4          5          N/A

2)      VTOL ( vertical take-off and landing)

3)      Flight stability

4)      Low cost

5)      Safety and Indoor safe flight

6)      Legal to fly in the USA

7)      Simplicity of preflight setup

8)      Fitting into a trunk of midsize car, fully assembled

9)      A known scale ratio (size only)

10)  Easy for one person to fly

11)  Inexpensive  replacement parts

12)  Durability

13)  Easy to Assemble and maintain

14)  Please list any other specific features which you would like to see included on possible future models.  _________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________.

Thank You!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service