I'm cursed

I want to fly drones, so I bought the iris. It didn't listen half the time and has crashed so much it looks like an IED hit it. I thought I'd learned so I bought a y6 diy kit. It just fell out of the sky with the walkera g 3d gimbal and smashed itself to pieces.Is this typical for new rc pilots or am I just not ment for this?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I totally believe in doing the sim> cheap quad> expensive quad> diy multirotor path, but the sim part can't cover everything. For instance: I disturbed a flock of pigeons while flying in my field, one of whom knocked down my gps antenna and caused my drone to spin in huge circles till I forced it to land. I'm starting to believe that I am to uavs what sitcoms are to tv.
    • Flocks and upset hawks are a challenge. Trees too, even though they (usually) don't move. :-)  By now your eyes are probably tired from reading posts and comments, but here, here, and here are collections of links to stuff you may find useful. 

• It's starting to sound a little bit like a curse after all.
      Is there a Darwin Award for R/C?
      Chris
      http://all.Is/
  • After 6 months of 1-2 hours daily simulator you are a champion

• Despues de 6 meses de simulador   a 1-2 horas diarias  eres un campeon

• you should buy the simulator fenixrc  and  yo  go  well .....

• No te preocupes  aqui es montar volar romper arreglar y volver a volar  a todos  e incluso los que llevan mucho tiempo tambien le pasa los mismo

• Gracias por el consejo , aunque prefiero Inglés para que todos pudieran entender fácilmente el consejo . Destrocé de nuevo después de hacer reparaciones, pero que era de una colisión con un ave y no por mi culpa . Dumb pigeon.
  • Hi Andrew,

A lot of similar stories to yours, sadly.

On my site quadcoptersarefun.com the first thing I try to convince anybody getting into this is get a nice inexpensive really sturdy little RTF quadcopter and learn how to fly it really well first.

Sure when you graduate to the big leagues there will still be problems, but you will be way ahead by having the skill to truly fly a multicopter and so you won't have nearly as many unpleasant and costly experiences.

As a bonus, a lot of the smaller cheaper quadcopters are also very forgiving of incorrect landing procedures meaning they stay together when you crash and crash and crash.

The UDI818A is a great little learner and the little Hubsans can also be useful.

Once you can fly one of those well, an Iris will be a lot less of a problem and the money you will have saved on replacement parts will pay for your learner copter 5 to 10 times over.

Please take a look at this page: http://quadcoptersarefun.com/ADroneOfYourOwn.html

I am also at this point recommending a second copter as well, because this one can actually make an expert pilot out of you and they are so much fun to fly you will still be flying it long after you have graduated to the big leagues.

The $230.00 Blade 200QX is a little bind and fly quadcopter that has about the best out of the box performance I have ever seen.

This one is definitely not a toy and you will need a Spektrum transmitter to bind it to.

But it is rock solid indoors or out and even in gusty wind and it responds perfectly to pilot inputs.

It has already developed it's own cult following.

If you are really self confidant it would work as a first copter, but I think it is the perfect second quadcopter.

You can learn to be a true expert quadcopter pilot with the 200QX and it is huge fun to fly indoors or out.

I know you already have an Iris and it is a great copter, but you would really benefit from picking up a UDI 818A or Blade 200QX.

These little guys were built to be beat up, the Iris not so much.

My quadcoptersarefun.com site includes written and video beginner flight instructions.

Best Regards,

Gary

This reply was deleted.

Activity