I am running Windows 8 Preview 64 Bit in Virtual Box on OSX Lion on an old MacBook Pro.

I did enable .Net 3.5, which is required by Mission Planner. When running the APM Mission Planner installer, it announces that an error has occurred and aborts the installation.

I realize that there could be all kinds of issues leading to this, and the Error is completely generic. But maybe someone here has come across this situation and solved it ?

Thank You,

Knut

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi!

I am running Win8 Pro 64bit on my laptop and finally installed the Arduino 2560 INF(http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,94651.msg716650.html#msg716650) for APM2 and now the device manager recognizes the APM board when I connect it. But, I am unable to run APMplanner.exe for the zipped version(Missionplanner 1.2.11.zip) unlike what seems to be reported here. The CMD gets stuck at 

"--End of inner exception stack trace--

at ArdupilotMega.MainV2..ctor<>

at ArdupilotMega.Program.Main<> in C:\Users\hog\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ArdupilotMega\ArdupilotMega\Program.cs:Line 70"

I don't know if the above information was any helpful, but could someone tell me what I am doing wrong.

• I tried the Zip file version, as Michael suggested, and it works.

Getting the 3DR Radio to work took some tweaking, but nothing too complicated:

1. I downloaded the FTDI device driver on win8, linked from the wiki, using the self-running installer, doing a legacy install after the initial install.

2. I installed the Virtual Box Extpack which offers USB 2 support (not sure if that was even needed)

3. I set up a USB filter for the radio (FTDI device) in the VM's settings.

4. Set the COM port in APM to 3 (found the FTDI device there in win8 device manager)

So, keeping in mind that this takes a little elbow grease, that this is not an official platform, and also that the preview will expire, I think this is still a lot better then not running APM Planner. I still have my main desktop PC with the planner running on an older windows version, but with this laptop, I can now do productive tuning in the field.

Thank you for your help ! Good luck with your own installs.

I don't think it is reasonable to ask the community or Michael Oborne to support MP on an unreleased, beta preview OS, do you? 

Rather, if you have the background for it, you might offer to Michael Oborne your time and system to beta test and test MP on Win8. 

I mainly run MP on Win7 within Parallels on OSX Lion, I am sympathetic....but really? Just my opinion....offer to help as a test platform. Expect it to not work. 

Wow, you are pushing the limits... A beta MS O/S in a sandbox on older Apple hardware.
    The odds of others having a solution to this combo must be kinda high.
    Wish I could help.
This reply was deleted.

Activity