Hey guys, I found out about the UAV scene and want to get involved, and was hoping that everyone could answer some questions. My queries are as follows:

(1) Is using a Wi-Fi signal and on-plane access point a possible way of telemetry using the Arduino Ethernet shield?

(2) How do you set up the Ardupilot to make use of the "Point Camera Here" function on Mission Planner?

(3) And finally, what are some ideas for a non-Xbee-based antenna tracker? I am hoping for some long range flying, and omnidirectional antennas wont cut it.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

Views: 2835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You will need to capture the video using the phones camera. The phone has built in video coders (implemented using HW) that can can compress the video signal quickly enough to send over the 3G link. The overall system you need is to either OPTION 1 use the APM as an autopilot and set-up a mechanism to send commands from the Android Phone to the APM. (Waypoints and RTL like actions)

The other OPTION 2 is to use the phone and the phoneDrone board as the autoPilot as well, but looking through the links i did not see any active development, so OPTION 1 would be the way forward.

It looks like this product http://www.adafruit.com/products/885  or https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10748 would be a better (smaller and cheaper) interface between the phone and APM. It's an Android IOIO board.

You would need to write an Android App that communicates over the 3G data link (IP) ans the serializes the data to the IOIO board connected to the APM. The Android App would also need to triggered to start video recording and streaming over the 3G link. Since Mission Planner supports IP connections, you should be able to create a Android App that simply unwraps IP packets of the serial data and sends it out on IOIO board to the APM. You could even have two apps, one for the video function, and one that is for the control. The maybe safer. You could even have a third monitor app, that can be triggered to restart either app on failure.

Anyway, hope that helps in thought processes to a possible solution.

There maybe some other open source projects that have already implemented something similar, just need to do some more googling ;-)

How would someone go about setting something like this up? 

CFODM transmitter !
CFODM transmitter !

WOWWWWW..$4000 ????

Bill Bonney said:

That's cheap at just shy of $4000 :-o. I'm pretty sure that it's exceeding permissible power levels for civilian use. Even with a Radio Am license you are probably restricted to 1W (30dB), and less in some countries depending on selection of 433Mhz, 900Mhz, 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz bands

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service