Is it possible to add a 5 watt RF amplifier to a 3DR/Hope radio module?

I have upgraded to a 1 watt radio, but even with good dipole antennas I am only getting around 800 meters through trees and buildings (much more when up in the air of course). Better antennas may help, but I am considering using more power and 5 watt amplifiers appear to be possible to connect to the 3DR/Hope transmitter modules. I am concerned about transmitting and receiving with one module though. Has anyone done this before and know if the receiver circuit could be disconnected from the transmitter and bypass the 5 watt amplifier, so that it could transmit and receive half duplex with one antenna?

Views: 1562

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the US the FCC frowns on that.  If you have a valid FCC Ham license you can legally increase your power to 1.5 Watts.  With the right antennas that should get you about a 5 mile range.  But now you would be violating the FAA regulations. The fine now is $250,000.00 and up to I think 10 years in federal prison.  ARS K7OOZ

Sandy

Yes, that would be nice. You might have to overpower the other person's transmitter. A 5 watt linear amplifier would probably work for transmitting and you could use a second module for receiving (and two antennas), but it might be worth experimenting to see if you could connect the receiver to the transmitter and have one small module.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service