MR60

Is Minimosd incompatible with Sony NEX5R ?

Hello,

I'm trying to use my Sony NEX5 camera as a FPV camera using this HDMI AV converter :
http://www.himodel.com/FPV_Telemetry...ony_5N_5R.html

My config is the following:

- I use a readymaderc Video Tx and receiver.

-The above mentioned HDMI converter is powered directly by the battery of the The NEX5 camera. This converter sends out only Video, Audio and ground signals (no +5v out).

-The Video Tx is powered by a 3S lipo.

Without MinimOSD, if I connect the "video out" + ground lines  of the hdmi converter to the video Tx, everything works fine. I get a stable image on the monitor.

Now if I add the minimosd in between, I get a rolling/flickering image. And the OSD overlay comes in and out and does not update. 

Has anyone had the same issue and found a way to solve it ?
My connection diagram is the following : 

3691086502?profile=originalMinimOSD config: version 1.1, firmware 2.0 and corresponding character set loaded via the GUI tool.
Also I did another test using a readymaderc fpv camera (PAL, 600TVL) : i get a stable image with minimOSD overlay on the video but no OSD values are updated (only the artificial horizin moves but all other values are zero : current, voltage, long, lat, etc). Why is that ? (I configured in mission planner the SR3 parameters as davised on the wiki)
So my questions:
-Did I wire something wrong ?
-Did I configure something wrong ?
-Is MinimOSD incompatible with PAL cameras ?
-Is MinimOSD incompatible with this specific SOny NEX5 camera ?
Thx for any help to setup it up right,
This video explains maybe better my issue:

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• MR60

Hi ,

Here an update of my experiments and final positive conclusion to this post: I've got... SUCCESS.

I think that Swift has put its finger on the root cause of my problem because I made it worked tonight with another HDMI2AV converter than the one I was using initially. So indeed it looks like the only probable cause left is the converter I was using outputs a video signal that is apparently incompatible with Max7456.

The one I was using (and thus that I do NOT recommend to use in combination with a NEX5R and MinimOSD) is the following : http://www.himodel.com/FPV_Telemetry/Mini_HDMI_to_A_V_Conversion_Ca...|PAL_output_for_Sony_5N_5R.html

-> that one is bad bad bad, very bad (and expensive)

The one that works well (and this is also confirmed by many users on all NEX5 FPV specialized forums I visited in the last few days) is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Composite-Video-Converter-Adapter-Supporting/...

I did a little hack on the way:

3692915323?profile=original

I removed the plastic casing first, then I desoldered the three RCA plugs to replace them with standard male servo connectors. I then put the plastic case back and covered it with Aluminium tape.

It weighs after this small hack : 38 grams. (you could also leave the case away to gain some more grams).

And it does not require any power supply !

The path to success was full of ambushes : for example, just in these last few hours :  I had a immersionRC 12V step up converter that definitively failed + I emptied a LIfe battery too low not paying attention during my tests + I had to reflash MinimOSD a few times to have a correct display of the character set + something new undocumented I've learned:

->if you connect a standard servo cable (three wires) to carry just video and ground (two wires used on three), you MUST disconnect the third wire (the third unused one) on MinimOSD side, otherwise you will not get the video on the screen! (you will just get garbled displays)...

Conclusion : this MinimOSD is a very sensitive wild beast to master by trial and error...pfewww

Thx to all for having helped me to solve this.

• MR60

@Chapman, yes indeed this model of hdmi converter is special for SOny NEX5 and is powered vie the camera directly; take a look here : http://www.himodel.com/FPV_Telemetry...ony_5N_5R.html

I progressed a bit in my debugging and I more or less isolated the isue with the converter : either bad contacts or defect PCB. So I ordered another type of hdmi2av converter to test and confirm/eliminate this possible cause.

Mini HDMI to A/V Conversion Card for Sony NEX5 Series Cameras |PAL output (for Sony 5N, 5R)
    Mini HDMI to A/V Conversion Card for Sony NEX5 Series Cameras |PAL output (for Sony 5N, 5R) from manufacturer , in category Video TX/RX & Accy..
  • MR60

To explain the problem that I have I have made this youtube video:

• Hi Hugues,

About the charset problem, did you connect both power input (+5 and +12) to OSD when updating it? it won't work if the +12V is not connected (gui does say update successful, but actually the update fails). You can also use minimosd extra, it's a great firmware.

The correct connetion is Tx of APM (NOT Tx from the telemetry module) to Rx of osd, it seems you're doing it right.

I'm not sure what's happening between the hdmi converter and minimosd, can you get any image if you connect your converter output directly to your video transmitter?

Xin

• Check that you have common ground across all parts, and the same standard PAL/NTSC
  • MR60

And some more disappointing tests results : I upgraded to the latest featured copter Minimosd extra firmware and character set : I get now a totally scrambled screen. I reverted to the 2.0 firmware but cannot get an unscrambled OSD display anymore :(   not matter what firmware I flash...

This reply was deleted.

Activity