I am new to this and probably have a simple question:

1. We want to trigger our camera on the UAV with the DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL command. As far as we understand it, every shutter release requires a waypoint (we create the polygon and use the GRIDV2 command for it). Is this correct?

2. If so, it seems that there is an upper limit of 255 waypoints maximum in every mission. Is this correct?

3. If so, this means that one could shoot a maximum of 255 photos per flight, which is far too few for us.

How can we overcome this or is there an easier way to control the shutter release and - most important - get the GPS positions of the photos.

We use ArduPlane 2.70 and Mission Planner 1.2.50.

Many thanks for your help.

Oliver

Views: 2635

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes Nick, that would be the best solution.

As oliver already said, triggering by time is not very useful but a trigger every 30meters would be perfect.

Maybe you can add a new Command. "Start Digicam Trigger" with one value (meters) and another command for stopping it. "Stop Digicam Trigger"

Triggering can be configured with the "Shutter" function in MissionPlanner.

Stop would be necessary for the turning points of the plane and for the way between photozone and home location.

Crosstrack error should be no big problem. The overlapping of the images is quite high.

Thanks in advance :)

Yannick

If it is as easy as it sounds ;-) this would be great. But would it assure that the GPS-coordinates of the shutter release can be obtained in a file, even if it were many hundreds or thousands?

To me it would be sufficient to "Start Digicam Trigger" at the beginning of the photozone and stop it at the end. The connecting lines between two parallel paths can be used for taking photos as well and every waypoint in between could be a new starting point for the "every x meters" interval.

When will we get it? ggg

Hi Nick

Wow, that works for me, trigger every XX metres (or feet) and an option to start when "in flight" OR at a defined WP would be my dream. it simplifies the whole process. We already have a flight distance counter and flight timer display in the user items of the HUD.

Could the choice be done as a check box i.e  timed (every xx seconds OR distance  (every xx metres)??  and a second box to define WP start or Flight timer starting??

That would leave all the available space (128??) WP for navigation.

Oliver, you don't need an extra GPS Log for the trigger points.

Use the build-in geotag function in MissionPlanner!

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/geotagging-images-with-mission-...

It aligns GPS time and the Camera time and uses the GPS coordinates of the flight log.

Could this be a Python script?

An actual editable box in MP for the distance trigger would be a lot more convenient though.

Hi,

Im about to plan a mission but I'm confused with the DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL and the DO_SET_SERVO commands.

I'm following the arduplane tutorial here with the use of a canon camera and CHDK.

http://plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/camera-control-tutorial-taking-pict...

Where it states:

"Here is where we have to switch our automatic functionality for some manual labor. GridV2 has created a command after each waypoint with command type DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL. However, for our CHDK setup, we need command type DO_SET_SERVO. For each DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL command, change command type to DO_SET_SERVO, set Ser No to 7 (or whichever channel you’re using), and set PWM to 1,100 (to call the 3DR_Shoot.bas function that takes a picture)."

But in the Standard Params settings you can set the Camera Shutter (trigger) type (CAM_TRIGG_TYPE) to "Servo" in the drop down list.

I have setup my camera with a PWM based switch which triggers the camera just fine using (Servo out RC7), so should I just stick to CAM_TRIGG_TYPE with "Servo" action?

Is someone able to outline the general setup for the camera triggering?..... Because when I previously setup using CAM_TRIGG_TYPE >> Servo, nothing happened at the waypoints.

cheers

Matt

Oliver,

What software do you use for constructing your 3D model?  I've been looking into this but haven't come across any software that works for me.

Look at this: http://www.agisoft.ru

In my opinion the perfect choice for UAVs.

I have a custom version of Mission Planner which sets up a camera grid by calculating the camera's altitude, focal length, Sensor size, etc.. and then sets CAM_TRIGG_DIST to the proper distance between shutter triggers.  It will also setup waypoints of you prefer that method by selecting a checkbox for inside waypoints.  This is based off Brandon's Camera Planner mod..  If anyone is interested, I can post a link.. 

Count me in.

I'm very interested in this as well!  Would you be able to provide a link?  Thanks!

I guess we could change the code so that the command keeps pushing the servo button at a regular interval perhaps

Is that not the DO_REPEAT_SERVO command? Does it work?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service