Hello All:Anyone has experience using Xbee 868 modem in an area where GSM 900MHz cellphone-band is used? I m wondering whether there will be severe interference problem since 868MHz is quite near to 900MHz?Another problem is is XBee 868 really with that super long range (I mean, 4Km)? I did a test and seems around 1km, signal strengh is already obviously reduced.Thank you for all suggestions.Alex

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Earl,

i think you have hit on somthing here, that im also not sure of...

in a rash moment, i aquired a 2w 868 - 950mhz Vtx, and we also have a 1w Data 900 mhz Tranceiver.

If the Vtx was set to 868 or 950, do you recon that it will bleed all over the data?

We have used both with success but not together, (always testing somthing new and not putting them together as we originally planned)

is there enough room to stop the bleed over?

no expert on Radio systems

Doc.
  • Hi,
    are you meaning use 868MHz XBee for Ardupilot telemetry download?
    There was a discussion here some time ago, because it seems they don't work for this. They have a duty cicle of 10%.
    Is there anyone using them successfully?

Ric
  • I think there's no interference between GSM and ISM 868 bands. In Hungary we use GSM cellphones and you can buy 868 MHz radio modules.
    The datasheet says that 40 km is the outdoor, line-of-sight range of this radio. In urban conditions it's about half a kilometer.
    My further question:
    what about 868 MHz ZigBee + 1,3 GHz video downlink? (868*1,5=1300)
  • GSM 900 has a bandwidth of 50 MHz: 890-915 MHz for upstream (mobile->tower) and 935-960 MHz for downstream (tower->mobile). The 868 MHz Xbee should operate in the 868-870 MHz range (otherwise they wouldn't sell it in Europe). So there's no overlap and there shoudn't be any interference from a healthy GSM cell tower.

The range should be up to 40 km LOS (or 16 km if in Italy).

(correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyway, what environment did you do the testing in? Did you have a clear line of sight? What antennas were you using?
This reply was deleted.

Activity