I have lost a lot of cash trying to get started in this (mainly quads and airplanes). I need help in basic wiring, soldering, assembly, and final set up/test flights. Is there a one place shop for the beginner that is laid out in laymen? I call myself searching here, but maybe I am not using the correct search string.

Todd

Views: 218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For learning to fly, first, buy some spare props, maybe an arm or two and a spare motor.  I don't know of anyone learning to fly a multi rotor craft who hasn't crashed.  Before your first flight, read the Wiki section on "First Flight"

Learning to solder videos are all over You Tube, but use a quality soldering iron, like this one from Radio Shack.

Ramsey Electronics makes some easy to build kits including a Learning to Solder kit.

You should also consider looking for a mentor in your area.

Stephen - thanks a lot for the info; I am still sifting through tons of information regarding my quads. My soldering has improved greatly after watching all the videos. Most of the guys in my area have not moved into quads (or equivalent) yet, and they seem to stear clear of them. I had one person help me to wire up my flight controller and actually fried the entire thing twice. So, its been quite a nightmare until I found this site. Thanks again.

Also, I have some OPTO 30A speed controllers and some motors, but the bullet type connectors seem to be a hair too big for the holes in the SC's. Are there adaptors, or should I just mod to make it fit, or, get my credit card back out again?

If the bullet connectors are loose, they could vibrate loose and you will crash.  Some people solder theirs, but that defeats the purpose of a removable connector.  I use a ty-wrap on either side of the connectors to strap them to the hex arm..  It makes replacing an ESC or motor easier.  If the connection is so loose that the parts simply fall out, then you will need to replace one or the other.

If you do decide to solder them, it doesn't take a lot.  just a bit to secure the connection, but not so much that you can't remove them later when you need to by applying heat again.

Having a few spare connectors in your toolbox is a good idea anyway.

Found out about the different MM sizes of the bullet plugs, then verified that the ESC's were compatible with the motors. So I bought the correct sizes (the esc's were 3.5 and the motors were 4 mm) and soldered those in place of the others. Thanks for your help with getting started here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service