Kraken130 + Pixhawk?

Hi

Have you guys seen the new Kraken 130 from Foxtech.

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-kraken130-octocopter-arf-combopreorder-p-1335.html

What do you guys think?

Im impressed with the build and strength and flight time. The airframe and electronics are $2000

However the FC itself they suggest is also $1200 (DJI A2M - $1800 ZeroUAV)

Im wondering if the pixhawk would be enough to conrol it?

What do people think?  (Besides it not really being DIY)

Cheers

-P

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

Release the Kraken!  

Kraken build in my workshop in Manchester, CT.   This Kraken is carrying an Aura2 3 axis gimbal and Canon 5D camera equipped with a Teradek HD Transmitter to send live HD video to the ground. 

3701797222?profile=original

3701797316?profile=original

http://youtu.be/0k6SZwdojyE

• Hi, I am about to tune a newly built Kraken.

Could you please share a dataflashlog or your PID's , so I can start out with something closer to tuned ?

Currently I have only one 6s 16Ah pack - and it would save me valuable tuning time once it's less windy, and it's winter here in northern Norway, so a shorter tuning/freezing time would be nice :)

• In case no one had seen ther is a rcgroup thread for all things Pixhawk + K130

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2192458

See you there

-P

That's great.  I'll  add to it.   I'm starting a brand new Kraken / Pixhawk build on Tuesday next week.  Was planning to shoot video at the same time.   

Does anyone who's already built a pixhawk / kraken have a parameter file to share?  I was planning to use autotune, but any head start I can get would be appreciated.  

• Why not?! Go and explore things on Earth!

• I have a kraken and probably have over 100 flights on it now. I have had two motor wires break(they are hard and brittle) and I was one of the first that experienced the capacitor issue. I new about long power wires but figure they tested it and it wasn't an issue. I had an esc go out while I was in the middle of the ocean and barely got it back. It has an A2 on it right now but if I had it all over I would put a pixhawk on it. What ever you do make sure you secure the motor wires so they don't vibrate or get mishandled. I ended up changing the motors and esc's to brands I trust and mounting the esc's in the center plate.
    • Hey Neil,  glad you got it back from the ocean..   and thanks for sharing your experience.  for me personally i would like to see if we can grab the attention of someone that has a Pixhawk on their Kraken. We are very close to getting some initial tuning flights.  I would love to hear other experiences with the PIDs and  ESC sync issues .

I feel pretty good about the sync issues after a fair amount of research it appears that the ground wire on the esc needs to be present.  I have yet to decide what to do with the power lead (red) i checked the voltage on that wire and it is not seeing any return voltage from the ESC and this, i think to be expected from an opto ESC.

I am curious how are you guy powering everything .. ESC. Pixhawk and gimbles?  i am thinking that i am gonna be running separate batteries for each .. (2 person setup)

• Ha

You guys  are ahead of me now.

I bought the Kraken foolishly sa my first copter.. was great to build for experience...

Then I did my first take off and realised I was quickly out of my depth.  So got an Iris to practice on first :)

Now I need to rebuild the Kraken..I have the kit to move the ESC to the centre plate. Hope to do it in next few weeks.

I dont like any of the leg offerings, Im interested in finding a different solution that fold down like 4-8 stilt legs from the arms. It will balance better and fold up nicer.

Good luck guys!!

-P

This reply was deleted.

Activity