Laptop controling viewing FPV and a joystick

I am a Developer/Network Engineer looking to design a VB .net app that can control a airplane little like a flight sim.  Right now I dont want the camera to move around it is going to be static in the cockpit just like a pilot view.  I would also like to keep this under $500 but will go to $700 for the right gear..   Later on I would like to add UAV chip to my setup but for now here is what I am looking at.. 

What I have so far:

• USB capture card that imports the live video to VB .net
  • Cheap Camera using 2.4 tx/rx
  • VB.net app will capture the live video and save a wav file
  • VB.net accepting my saitek joystick (usb)

Planning on buying:

What I want or think I need, was hoping for some pointers here: 

• OSD..  This is a must, of some short that is
  • Radio is a big question what radio should i get?  I want a 72MHz
    • Futaba 7CAF 7-Channel $250
    • Spektrum DX7 $299
  • Transmitter Interface
    • PCTx $50 (I am writing my own VB.net App)
    • Milehighwings $40 (emailing them for VB.net support)
  • Upgrade Camera and Wireless
    • Camera CMOS CM-26N $32
    • LM 1000mW 1.2Ghz Combo $135

So what do you think am i looking in the right direction?  By the way once I get the code working I will make it open source for anyone else..

Tuska

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• HI Chris, I am developing a similar project although I capture the video to a standalone screen and DVR. Mine is written in vb2010 but most of it should compile in vb.net, you are welcome to a copy of the source if you like. Although not the best written code it flies okay and there may be some parts of the code you code tear out and use in your project. There is a photo of the old version on my profile page along with a description of what it does and also a video which shows that latency (i.e last second climb over the fence) isn't really an issue so long as your not stunt flying.

Regards,

James

VB.NET Shop
  • I have a remzibi osd if you want , never used.
  • If you don't yet have a radio yet, am I correct in assuming you are not an experienced RC pilot?  If so, then start there first. What you are proposing should work, unless there is a latency issue with the PC end. I would definitely have a safety pilot on the main Tx with your setup going to the trainer input. If you all ready know this then I was wrong. If you have never flown RC and think this my be a way to do it, then you are wrong.

• Distributor
    Hello Tuska,
    Are you thinking about something like this:

http://www.flytron.com/programmers/56-compufly-usbtoppm-converter.html

Regards

Martin
This reply was deleted.

Activity