Lifeguard UAV

With the advent of drones in everyday life quickly approaching, I like everyone else on this forum have been trying to brainstorm useful approaches for drone use. As a open water lifeguard the idea of a roving eye in the sky is interesting. A drone could provide coverage of rescues in progress allowing an operator in headquarters the ability to accurately assess situations and whether further support would be needed. It could also provide aerial support during missing swimmer searches, a floating body is much easier to see from above and with drowning victims every second counts. It could also be used to survey the coastline on busy days and days in the offseason when there are not enough guards on duty to watch all the water effectively. As a lifeguard and surfer I have little experience with the mechanics and engineering of a project like this but I think that the demand would be there for something like this. I'd appreciate anybody's input on the idea if you think it's viable or not, or if someone's already developed something like this. Advice, criticism, and comments are appreciated and encouraged!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies

• They are doing this in Australia. Check out these news articles: http://t.co/YzVxSk8g and http://t.co/P0ENk2AW

Drones to patrol Aussie beaches
    Futuristic technology normally used for military operations could soon be monitoring bathers and sharks off Australian beaches.
  • With a thermal imaging camera,  Part of the swimmer will have to be out of the water.  Due to the reflective properties of Water Glass and Shiney metal they will always show as the coldest surface even if they are extremely hot.   

• Ive been working on a way to use my fixed wing drone to spot cobia during fishing season. Right now my issue is transporting my current plane + GCS on a small boat without damaging it, Im probably going to need a different platform.

• I think you have to weigh Jake's disruption factor versus his benefit.  Basically, his only contribution is to cause disruption.  I wonder if he even flies anymore.

• We are actually in the process of just that a beach\lifeguard\shark spotting drone.
  • Hey Kevin.

I really like your idea ! I am actually try to find something more useful for my quad.

It is a good idea for you to apply them to your work, I hope people with more experience than me reply to your post !

Take Care !

• I think it's a great idea.  Spotting sharks would be my first idea.

Maybe I'll start a company and go pitching UAVs after every shark attack.  Maybe even bait and kill the sharks from the air somehow.  Probably a lot smarter then everyone going out in boats like in Jaws.

This reply was deleted.

Activity