I want to build a fixed wing drone with the longest possible endurance possible. I'm thinking electric pusher(for aerial video) with solar panels and alternator(s) to charge the batteries. I have very little experience in building fixed wings but have extensive experience with multi and single rotors. And also with aerial video/photography. It can be over 55lbs, since im willing to get FAA experimental licencing for it. Im also planing on using an airport hangar so it should be large enough to be seen by small aircraft such as cessnas. The wingspan should also be around 30-40ft. And if we have to go to a gas motor, it would have to be an aviation motor being able to use AA or Jet-A fuel.

Views: 9764

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Moglos did a 7 hour 300km flight with nothing more than a Cyclops-E and panasonic batteries.  I can't imagine any civil application requiring much more than that.

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/anatomy-of-a-301-km-flight

Why not just see what he did and scale it up a bit?

Im worried about everything going wrong with this project. 

I dont see why not either

A good place to start would be getting your FAA Private Pilot License, if you don't already. You would learn a lot about the needs and concerns of flying a plane of this size, as well as the workings of controlled airspace and radio/airport etiquette. A lot of this can only be gained from real life "on-the-job" experience. 

I would also consider eventually getting an ultra-light/sport plane. A proven airframe/power plant that you could actually fly in and get proficient would be invaluable. Then, if the gods are on your side, you could pursue converting it to a fly-by-wire craft that could be remotely operated. Testing could be done with a pilot, you, onboard so that manual flight could be opted for at any moment. 

In the mean time, here are some suggestions, not criticisms. Forget about flying at an airport, and work up to some of the bigger RC planes while practicing your skills: piloting, building, electrical, and engineering. Go to RC airshows and look at some of the giant RC planes people are flying everyday, and learn about the strengths and weaknesses. (Also ask about the servos used and how much they cost.) I can tell you are young, and use that as an advantage. Because when you are older, your pie-in-the-sky ideas won't have that same vigor behind them. :) Good luck, and have fun.

As soon as i can afford it. i am.

Start small and work your way up, Matt.  Nothing wrong with running an APM in a foamie for a while, moving on to a gas-powered Telemaster or similar, before you progress to your ultimate goal.

Along the way you'll learn a whole heap of stuff including, perhaps, that a monster fixed-wing UAV isn't what you really want.  There are so many ways to skin the UAV cat that starting complex with limited knowledge will only be a recipe for wasting a lot of money and endangering the life and property of others in the process...

You don't see why you can't just scale up a foam toy to the equivalent of millions of dollars in R&D, more millions in testing, and more millions in FAA certification.  Ok.

Oh my god. OK, lets just end this now.

YOU ARE A HIGH SCHOOL FRESHMAN.  You have no job and no money.  You can't even drive a car let alone fly an aircraft.  Do you think your mommy's allowance is going to build you a full scale aircraft???  You just wasted 10 pages of everyone's time here deceiving everyone into thinking this was a legit project you want to start.  You don't even do your own laundry!!    

Please stop wasting your time and ours with your study hall day dreaming!

I try and avoid doing my own laundry where possible. Nothing wrong with dreaming, we are all guilty of that here. Small low cost steps are always the way. There is no such thing as an overnight success. 

Mr. Wollam-

If I may add to the discussion, here is your handbook to success: FAA Order 8130.34C - Airworthiness Certification of UAS and OPA

Good luck.

You sir, have flawed logic. I have almost 200 hours(which i paid mostly for, my grandfather paid for the rest), i do my own laundry, have since i was like 6. And i don't have a study hall. And yes, i was going to work for my goal with steps(as said by @Gary Mortimer), i wasn't going to us my "mommys allowance", because my mommy doesn't give me or my brother allowance. 

Thank you.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service