I have 2 batteries Turnigy 5000mAh 4S 40C Lipo Pack that I got from HobbyKing about 6 months ago, but only in the last 2-3 months I started to use them about 3 to 4 times per week. Before that I kept them at 50% storage voltage most of the time. I have a DJI F500 Hexacopter, with motors NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 286w, I get about 8 minutes of flight time on it, and finally, to monitor the voltage I got a 2-8S Cell Checker with Low Voltage Alarm (I got the one without the case, but can't find the link to it right now), the alarm is set to 3.5 volts, and I usually land within 20 seconds from when I hear the alarm beeping constantly (when the battery gets close to discharged I hear a single beep once in a while, depending on throttle)

The charger I use to charge them: HobbyKing 4B6 Balance Charger Plus Accessories (200W)

Because the charger is 50Watts per channel, it's charging at max 3.4 Amps, and it takes about 2 hours to charge and balance (and I balance EVERY TIME)

I usually wait 30 mins to an hour to charge them again after use (so that they are already charged for the next day)

I did not keep track of how many times I charged them, but I guess it is ~ 40 times

Today I went to fly my hexa, when I was done, both batteries are a little bit warm (as usual), and I noticed it's a little bit puffed. I thought the puffying will go away, but when I got home after 2-3 hours, it is still puffed a little bit, and the total voltage (after 2-3 hours of sitting) is 14.8 Volts.

So here are my questions:

Will the puffing go away in time?

Should I charge the battery? Can I still use them? (is it safe?) does the puffing go away after I charge maybe?

What should I do? should I get new batteries? or different batteries? (with higher C rating?)

What am I doing wrong? (how should I prolong the battery life?)

Also... How do I know when the battery is about to blow? how much puffiness has to be? what are the symptoms? does it get hot before it explodes?

Views: 419

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are doing everything right. A little puff is normal as a battery ages. It will slowly loose it's ability to hold a full charge, and eventually they will need replacing. Higher quality batteries will last longer, but maybe not enough to pay the extra expense. These batteries are a consumable item. They are safe to continue to use with a slight puff. If they get very puffed, don't charge them anymore.

Thanks for your reply!

I got scared :) I saw my lipo a little puffed, and I watched online some videos with lipos exploding, and I got really concerned.

I charged my batteries, and the puffiness did not change....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service