Low Cost, Open Source, Streaming Thermal Camera

We've come up with a simple, low cost, open source streaming thermal camera that runs on Raspberry Pi. The system is based on the SEEK Thermal Camera which offers 204x156 resolution.  

A Low Cost, Open Source Streaming Thermal Camera

The thermal images are streamed using MJPEG, and can be viewed with any web browser.  We're working on a simple Android App to control the camera remotely.  I've tested it with Mission Planner, and it works as the background video for the Mission Planner HUD.  It only uses about 240kps bandwidth when streaming via WiFi

We have the software running on both Raspberry Pi 2 in Debian Wheezy, as well as on an Odroid XU running Ubuntu 14.04.   The camera runs as a ROS Topic, using the ROS MJPEG Server.

The whole system weighs 167 grams and includes a 5V Power supply that will record and stream thermal video for about 2 hours.  The battery is recharged using USB.  

I think this camera could easily be adapted to work with the 3DR Solo's WiFi network.  It might even be possible to run it on the Solo's on board computer, eliminating the need for the Raspberry Pi entirely.  Unfortunately, I don't have a Solo to test this.

Right now we're looking for beta testers of this camera system.  We have it working as a 'Plug and Play' system of the Phantom.  It's very reliable and the software is evolving quickly.  If you would be interested in our Open Beta, we can provide a complete working system to you for $500.  

Here's a short video of the Thermal Camera System in use.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, have a look here:

http://goodrobots.github.io/maverick/current/#/modules/vision?id=vi...

and here:

https://github.com/maartenvds/libseek-thermal

http://goodrobots.github.io/maverick/current/

• Hi
    I'm makeing project based on odroid XU4 and i really need my seek thermal camera to works as it should. I have hudge issue with changing size of the image. Can you share me your open source? : kubajurzak7@gmail.com
    I wrote you an email ,bout it might go to your's spam folder.

Jacob
    Bill Piedra said:

Hi Jason - 

Please contact me at billrockus@gmail.com and I can send you more information about the thermal camera.   

Jason Dworak said:

Hi Bill, I was wandering if you are still selling the complete kit of the raspberry pi and the seek thermal camera. I would like to purchase the entire setup. I was wandering how much it is going for. Thank you

We've come up with a simple, low cost, open source streaming thermal camera that runs on Raspberry Pi. The system is based on the SEEK Thermal Camera…

• Hi
    I'm makeing project based on odroid XU4 and i really need my seek thermal camera to works as it should. I have hudge issue with changing size of the image. Can you share me your open source? : kubajurzak7@gmail.com
    I wrote you an email ,bout it might go to your's spam folder.

Jacob
    Bill Piedra said:

Hi Jason - 

Please contact me at billrockus@gmail.com and I can send you more information about the thermal camera.   

Jason Dworak said:

Hi Bill, I was wandering if you are still selling the complete kit of the raspberry pi and the seek thermal camera. I would like to purchase the entire setup. I was wandering how much it is going for. Thank you

We've come up with a simple, low cost, open source streaming thermal camera that runs on Raspberry Pi. The system is based on the SEEK Thermal Camera…

Hi Jason - 

Jason Dworak said:

• Hi Bill, I was wandering if you are still selling the complete kit of the raspberry pi and the seek thermal camera. I would like to purchase the entire setup. I was wandering how much it is going for. Thank you

This reply was deleted.

Activity