Mavlink Doesn't Connect

Hi there,

I can’t get the APM Planner 1.0.55 to connect via the MAVLink all weekend. I’m running APM V2.22 firmware. Running Windows 7 64 bit.

What I’ve done so far to try and troubleshoot this issue:

1.)    With IMU switch in position 0 (toward the servo pins) I’ve ran the GPS test using the CLI. I have GPS lock (running MediaTek 1.6 GPS) and checked the coordinates. The coordinates are accurate (my house).

2.)    I moved the switch back to position 1 toward the GPS port and made sure the baud rate is 115200. Unplugged USB cable and plugged it back in and tried to connect via MAV Link. 30 seconds pass and I get the time out message.  (My first test demonstrates I have the GPS plugged into the right port and have an accurate GPS lock.)

3.)    I’ve reinstalled the com port, reloaded the firmware, and updated my planner.

4.)    Made sure “Set RTS on Close” is checked under the com port properties.

5.)    Downloaded FTDI Drivers and attempted to update drivers but my Windows 7 says the best driver is already installed.

6.)    I’ve tried plugging in my LiPo battery first, waiting for GPS lock and then connecting.

7.)    I’ve download the Happy Kilmore GCS and tried to connect. The status read “Connected on COM4 at 115200 but the GPS Type reads “0.00%”. It never moves past this point.

8.)    I’ve read other posts on this forum to see what other people did in the past and I’ve spent many hours trying to get this working and I just can’t get it to work.

What is working at this point?

1.)    CLI connection in switch position 0 works every time.

2.)    Radio communication works

3.)    IMU sensors are working (gyros, pressure, accelerometers, gps).

4.)    Modes work. Running on battery power alone I can switch to different modes and see APM take over and move the servos, engine, ect.

Any ideas on how to get APM Planner to connect via MAVLink at this point are more than welcome.

Thank You,

Jeff Johnson

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not sure if this is the correct forum but - ever since I updated APM Planner to 1.0.67 my XBEE ground station module causes the mouse to loose control.  This has occured on both my 2 laptops and my desktop.  I am running XP Pro on one laptop and Windows 7 Professional on the desktop and Windows 7 Starter on the other laptop.

Any ideas?

Allen

• I've tried 4 machines already, but no luck.

I can type in anything into the terminal and it won't do anything but go to the next line after I hit enter.

• Thanks Chris, that is good to know.

Here is my screenshot showing that nothing happens in the terminal.3692267586?profile=original

• This is what my screen shows when I try to connect.  Is this normal?  It's as if it doesn't understand the switch at all.

It was in position 0.

apm.jpg

• Having the same unable to connect to MAVlink issue.

APM Planner 1.0.66, APM V2.23, Pitot, Magnometer

I tried on two laptops  XP & Vista

No Gyro LEDs in FlightMode rst. Only "A" Gyro LED on in CLI Mode

Connects OK in CLI mode

"imu" test ok

All CLI tests seem ok. IMU sensors seem ok

GPS locks ok

Manual mode ok

I have tried sequence suggested by Jeff

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

• I typed in test and hit enter, it just disapears and moves to the next line.

• hey guys,

When I click on Terminal, in CLI mode, I get:

NOTE: You must disconnect and move the slider switch when done to use other tabs
    Opened com port

Init ACM

RAM: 2605
    FW Version 107
    ----------------------------------------

When I click on Tests, nothing happens.  I have out the latest hexa firmware on it.  version AC 2.040 Beta Hexa.

Any ideas on which side of the board I should be checking for the solder points to make sure they are well soldered?

Thanks

• Hi guys,

I too have the same problem.  Working on a laptop(tried 4 different machines, 3 of them windows 7 and one Vista), but I don't have a desktop.  My A and B light does not blink when I push the reset button.  My ESC's only blink when I hold it down.  any suggestions?

Thanks. 

• For me the answer turned out to be the sequence and timing in which I was trying to connect. Here is what I would recommend:

1.)    Update to the latest version of the APM Planner

2.)    Update your Ardupilot Firmware to the latest version

3.)    Move your switch so that it is away from the pin headers (towards your GPS connector).

4.)    Push the reset button on your IMU board.

5.)    Watch for the A and B lights to start blinking and at this moment click connect on your APM Planner software.

6.)    If it doesn’t connect after a few seconds, cancel the connection attempt and try again. Just hit the reset button (don’t just unplug the USB cable, push the reset button) and wait for the A and B lights to start flashing and click “connect”.

This specific timing seems to only be required on my laptop but it works. My desktop is much less temperamental so it makes me think it’s a USB related issue on my laptop. It was also suggested to me to just uninstall not only the FTDI drivers but all of my USB devices in the devices manager as well. After a reboot the Windows should reinstall all of the drivers which may help.

I know there is a message that says it may be waiting for GPS lock but that probably not the case since you can connect via MAVLink without a GPS lock. I do this all the time since I can’t get a lock in my basement.

• Yup, CLI switch is away from pins.

This reply was deleted.

Activity