MAVLink Additional Sensors

I'm trying to add an I2C sensor to my APM using Ardupilot 2.20, but am having trouble getting MAVLink to send the additional sensor data. I built a test procedure in the CLI that shows I'm getting good data, but can't figure out how to create a MAVLink message type to even see the data as text. What I really want is to get the sensor to pop up in QGroundControl as a plottable datastream in the Engineer perspective. Does anyone know the best way to add this functionality to APM/MAVLink?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Robert,

By following your method below, did your new sensor data show up in the 'Values" widget? I want to display my sensor data as a value along with Groundspeed etc etc

Robert Hansen said:

For those who are interested, I found a solution. By using the MAVLink library function

mavlink_msg_named_value_float_send(chan, name, value)

(located in ~/sketchbook/libraries/GCS_MAVLink/include/common/mavlink_message_named_value_float.h), or the similar function for integers, it is easy to transmit any sensor values as a time series to the ground station, and QGroundControl will read the message and add the name you provide (limited to 10 characters by the function above) to the realtime plot.

To integrate with ArduPilotMega 2.20, I added a message definition to the defines.h file:

#define MSG_NEW_SENSOR_DATA 0x25

and used this value in the switch of mavlink_send_message(chan, id, param, packet_drops):

case MSG_NEW_SENSOR_DATA:

{

mavlink_msg_named_value_float_send(chan, "New Sensor", global_variable_with_new_sensor_data);

break;

}

Then, I made a call to the higher-order member of the gcs object:

gcs.send_message(MSG_NEW_SENSOR_DATA)

Because my sensor functions at 0.5 Hz, I put this function call in my own super-slow loop, called from inside the one-second-loop in ArduPilotMega.pde, but you can put it in whichever speed loop you want. Just make sure reading your sensor can't block the autopilot code for too long, or you will have some major problems.

Doing it this ways allows me to use the gcs object's private definitions of chan, param, and packet_drops. The MAVLink handbook recommends only using mavlink_msg_named_value_float_send for rapid prototyping and testing, so I will be using the function as a basis for my own custom MAVLink message, but this should be enough to get others started and avoid some of my own frustrations. Enjoy!

MAVLink Additional Sensors
    I'm trying to add an I2C sensor to my APM using Ardupilot 2.20, but am having trouble getting MAVLink to send the additional sensor data. I built a t…
  • Robert,

I'm curious - What i2C sensor are you adding?

I have just created an i2C sonar modification to help avoid noise on the analog signal for an Arducopter.

Its still a work in progress - I expect to integrate it in the AC2 code and fly it later this week

-Andrew

• For those who are interested, I found a solution. By using the MAVLink library function

mavlink_msg_named_value_float_send(chan, name, value)

(located in ~/sketchbook/libraries/GCS_MAVLink/include/common/mavlink_message_named_value_float.h), or the similar function for integers, it is easy to transmit any sensor values as a time series to the ground station, and QGroundControl will read the message and add the name you provide (limited to 10 characters by the function above) to the realtime plot.

To integrate with ArduPilotMega 2.20, I added a message definition to the defines.h file:

#define MSG_NEW_SENSOR_DATA 0x25

and used this value in the switch of mavlink_send_message(chan, id, param, packet_drops):

case MSG_NEW_SENSOR_DATA:

{

mavlink_msg_named_value_float_send(chan, "New Sensor", global_variable_with_new_sensor_data);

break;

}

Then, I made a call to the higher-order member of the gcs object:

gcs.send_message(MSG_NEW_SENSOR_DATA)

Because my sensor functions at 0.5 Hz, I put this function call in my own super-slow loop, called from inside the one-second-loop in ArduPilotMega.pde, but you can put it in whichever speed loop you want. Just make sure reading your sensor can't block the autopilot code for too long, or you will have some major problems.

Doing it this ways allows me to use the gcs object's private definitions of chan, param, and packet_drops. The MAVLink handbook recommends only using mavlink_msg_named_value_float_send for rapid prototyping and testing, so I will be using the function as a basis for my own custom MAVLink message, but this should be enough to get others started and avoid some of my own frustrations. Enjoy!

This reply was deleted.

Activity